Best Outer Banks Location for Extended Family

Aug 11th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Best Outer Banks Location for Extended Family

Our family is planning a celebration week in August 2011 for our parents 50th anniversary. Dad just said "I want to spend a week with you all on the Outer Banks" but none of us have ever been there before. We were thinking to rent one large house that would accomodate 8 adults and 7 teens/children. What would be recommendations for Outer Banks best location based on the following criteria: convenience to major airport for flights from the midwest, natural beauty, place right on the ocean and moderate price for accomodation and restaurants.
Aug 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Hmmm-your best bet for airport would be Norfolk. After that anything goes. A place right on the beach for that many people would not be that hard this much in advance, just a question of where and how much and that's just going to require googling the rental places and checking them out. Nags Head/Kitty Hawk/Kill Devils Hills is the most "built up area" (that won't be that apparent once you're on the beach itself ,though, or even in your house). That is closest to Norfolk and there are more restaurants around there, but not as many as you might expect. The Outer Banks are not really a beach resort type atmosphere with lots of restaurants and bars everywhere. Most people are happy just getting local seafood and grilling it up on the deck vs going out.

I'd focus mostly on getting the right oceanfront house first, whereever it is. Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo area is smaller, but few restaurants. Hatteras is nice, and Ocracoke, way down, is probably the premier spot.

As for nature, well there's 100 miles of beach and dunes, much of it completely untouched by man, so you can easily find a spot on the beach even in midsummer with nobody in sight on the beach within a short drive of your house if you like, but right in front of your beachhouse would be just a nice as well. Everything is behind the dunes, so anywhere you are on the beach is natural beauty.

I'm probably not describing it right, but everthing here is about beach, dunes, and beach houses. Restaurants are there, but it's not at all the same as other beaches in the US where nightlife and restaurants are abundant. Focus on the right beachfront house for your group searching the various rental sites and the rest will fall into place. Not pushing one, but I ususally use Midgett Realty, which is mainly on Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo. They have good virtual tours of their places. The Green Lantern house is great-maybe too small for 17, but it has a tower with a great view. I loved it, but there are so many to pick from.
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

How would you compare the Hatteras area to the Kitty Hawk area? From google maps it would seem we save about a 2 hour drive from Norfolk each way if we stay further north.
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:59 AM

We just spent a week in Duck. Our house was on the beach which is the only way to go. If price is a concern, find a cheaper house, but dont get a house that is not Oceanfront!

My opinion is that Hatteras is too remote and Kitty Hawk is too commercialized. Duck is the place for me. Also, try to work it out so you get a house with a Sunday in/out day. Saturday is very very busy on the roads and you want to stay on the beach that day.
Aug 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Duck is a good spot as well-closer to Norfolk for sure. Yes, the area around Kitty Hawk/Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills has the commercial area (but this is where more restauranmts will be if that matters, as well as easy access to groceries, etc.). But, I'd emphasize that the commercial area is well back from the ocean, so don't get the impression that it would be right at your front door or anythng. I woudn't rule out a nice oceanfront place there just beacuase of that.

Hatteras would be more of a drive, yes. Although unless there's really bad traffic thru Nags Head area, it's actually only about an hour or so once you come across the 158 bridge. (I've done it many times so don't listen to what mapquest or google says-its 55+ most of the way) My favorite area is around Rodanthe/Waves Salvo and Avon, mostly becuase you're right there in the middle of the National Seashore where all the empty deserted beach is and I always like to go find a spot for at least some of the time where you have the whole beach to yourself pretty much.

Have you looked at the satellite view on google maps? That gives you a good idea of what looks like what.
Aug 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM

From Nags Head to Corolla, there are plenty of restaurants. We've been visiting the Outer Banks since the 1970's and almost always eat dinner at restaurants.

In addition to the beach, there are many family activities:

Lighthouses to visit-Hatteras, Corolla
The Wright Brothers Museum in Kitty Hawk
The village of Manteo (strolling, shopping, dining), the Lost Colony, the Elizabethan Garden, and the North Carolina Aquarium (small but enjoyable)-all on Roanoke Island