Best Off-Broadway!

Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Best Off-Broadway!

My husband and I will be traveling to NYC next month, April 7th-11th, for our anniversary and my birthday and would love to see a couple of broadway shows while in town. We've had previous luck at the TKTS booth, so our plan is to try there again. However, if the broadway shows we'd like to see aren't available, can you recommend some favorites for off-broadway? Some of our recent Broadway shows we've seen and loved are Wicked, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Producers if that helps you with our taste in shows. Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:35 AM

Try to see Forbidden Broadway SUV version...it is a satire on popular musicals..very funny.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:42 AM

My family loved Stomp. Very creative, but not a regular musical--it's movement and percussion. Still it's nice to do something different.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Neopolitan

Since you mention musicals only, the very long running and very popular I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE is a delightful show, and very funny. You do know, I assume, that no off Broadway musicals are going to be nearly as "big" as the Broadway musicals you mentioned.

ALTARBOYZ, is a hoot. It's five very talented young men in a light-hearted musical about a "Jesus" rock band, but it is neither overly religious nor particularly blasphemous.

Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:31 AM

Why don't you check broadwaybox.com and see what's available to buy now at a discount? The Drowsy Chaperone is a new show that will be in previews. Great cast. Got good reviews in Calif. Available on discount. Great cast.
http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/7170
Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:42 AM
Neopolitan

Don't rub it in mclaurie. I've been waiting for Drowsy Chaperone tickets to go on sale for months and called the first day they did so to pay full price for our trip in May. I did get total choice of seats (8th row center), but two days later I was surprised to see the discount offers for even after previews -- and so far in advance. This is a 90 minute musical without intermission starring the wonderful Sutton Foster (Thoroughly Modern Millie) and promises to be a big hit, if such promises can ever be taken literally.

Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:02 AM

Don't remember your dates, Neopolitan, but just got an email from Playbill on Shining City, April 30-May 7 with Oliver Platt.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
Neopolitan

Yep, I got that too, but we arrive May 15 to 24.
Already have:
Three Days of Rain
Sweeney Todd
Drowsy Chaperone
Faith Healer
History Boys
Wedding Singer
and Threepenny Opera.

Holding out for Spelling Bee and Color Purple if they extend discounts. Running out of open slots!

Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM

For an anniversary, "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" would be excellent! It's hilarious, and a really clever look at the relationships between men and women.

Neopolitan, Color Purple has been at the TKTS booth several times in the last few months, so if you don't get a discount in advance, you might consider swinging by there and trying your luck.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM

If you're a fan of the revolution (any revolution) Jacque Brel is now playing at the Zipper theater!