Best of the Ferry Building Marketplace SF?

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of the Ferry Building Marketplace SF?

Though I live less than an hour's drive away and love good fresh local food sources, I haven't been there yet. Can any in-the-know Fodorite foodies report in on the don't miss places? We'll be there on a Thursday morning for general browsing and a late breakfast, brunch or early lunch. Thanks a bunch in advance.

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Betsy, sorry to say you'll be missing the best part of it - the market itself. I think it's only on Tuesdays and Saturdays, no?

Other then that, just another shopping mall (my apologies to those who love the building!)

I was there three times, first time a freind took me over to Embarcadero for crepes, 2nd time we walked over to Sinbad, 3rd time we just went to Sinbad

I really like Sinbad, it has inside and outside tables with the view of the bay and the bridge.

Or you can spend some time at the building and ferry over to Sausalito.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Remembered something. Sharffen-Berger chocolates, they have excellent tours of their factory in Berkeley and sell the chocolates in the Ferry Building.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM

The Slanted Door is excellent...and loud. If you don't mind a lively setting, the view (and food) are great!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM

The market is on 4x a week spring - fall, but I guess this is not Spring yet! Shucks.
http://ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/farmers_market.php

I love the Far West Fungi and Cowgirl Creamery stuff to take home.

You can't go wrong with any of the eateries there. Boulette's Larder, Lulu Petite....ack. I need to go back.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM

We got some great cheese at Cowgirl Creamery and a delicious loaf of green onion bread at Acme Bakery.

Lee Ann
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Hi LeeAnn, isn't the bread from Acme Bakery fantastic? Wish I could buy it where I live. Betsy, if you are interested in eating at the Slanted Door make your reservations as far in advance as possible.

Betsy, the only time I was very displeased was when I purchased a chicken from Mistral and took it home. I had made arrangements as to what time I would pick it up. I got it home and it was not completely cooked and it was very greasy. I ended up throwing it away.

Check out Prather's Meat if you eat meat. Enjoy!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Well, I like Delica - a deli-style Japanese place, of all things. The bento boxes are terrific - easily the equal of any I've had in Japan and then some. They make a daily vegetarian bento too.

Market Bar is good, especially if the weather allows outdoor seating. The Mistral Rotisserie gets mixed reviews, but they have a special each day and is worth checking out.

The Wine Merchant is a good place for a glass of wine between meals, or if you would like to make a light meal of it, they have cheese and charcuterie platters.

Acme Bread - the pride of the Bay! The scallion loaf is a weekly thing at my house.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Hi dovima, is there anything special you can recommend from Mistral? I may have just had "bad luck" the late afternoon when I purchased the chicken.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 05:04 PM

Anyone who calls the Ferry Building "just another mall" doesn't live in the same world most of us do.

I'd sure opt for The Slanted Door -- is it still several months for reservations?

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Miette--French pastry shop..merenge cookies are fabulous...just like PAris.
Also Sur LA TAble for anything cooking related.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM

For those who've never been, a quick look is at http://tinyurl.com/yo67r7 .
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Patrick -

We were able to secure reservations at Slanted Door 2 weeks before we went (over Christmas 2006). However, once we got there (15 mins early) there was already a huge line of people standing at the hostess stand. The line consisted of people with and without reservations. Those without reservations were invited to eat at bar (if seats were available) or wait a few hours for a table!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:19 AM

OK, last summer we were in SF for two weeks. I think it was close to a month ahead that I called to make reservations, gave them our dates and they offered one time -- at about 2:00 on a midweek day, which we grabbed. It was really wonderful.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:43 AM

There is a stall in the marketplace selling goods from Montepulciano. The apricot preserves taste just like what I remember from Tuscany. They are divine!

Hog Island Oysters: We got a dozen Kumamotos and split an order of clam chowder(with whole manila clams ).

If you want to take stuff home consider looking at Golden Gate Meats(it's like buying jewelry).

Try a bag of shortbread from Miette (I love the walnut).
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone. Knew I could count on you. I printed out the map, will go there hungry and see what looks good. Actually, just reading this thread makes me hungry!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Hi Betsy, enjoy!!

In fact your thread makes me think I am going to go to SF on one of our nice days to just spend time at the Ferry Bldg and not worry about going anywhere else in SF that day. Usually I am sort of rushing through the Bldg because of other commitments.

And PamSF..apricot preserves from Montepulciano..OMG!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Apricot preserves on Acme bread did it for me! Or maybe a glass of wine and charcuterie. Or maybe some chocolate. So many choices....
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:57 AM

I love Apricot preserves, so I better get over there!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Oh Betsy, I meant to add I haven't been there yet and I'm only an hour away myself (San Jose).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -