Best Oahu beach for sunset ceremony?

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Oahu beach for sunset ceremony?

I wanted to see if the members of this fantastic forum have ever attended or knew of any Oahu beach weddings where there weren't a bunch of tourists around. I'm trying to help my sister plan her wedding for Summer 2007. We're both from Oahu but are currently located off island. I personally view the beach wedding as a logistical nightmare. We're trying to make the groom happy as he's never been to Hawaii and that's what he wants. So far I can only see Turtle Bay or Lanikuhonua as potential sites. I'd appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks for reading...
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:44 PM

You're correct, any beach on the West side of Oahu is spectacular at sunset. My friend got married at the Ihilani on the grassy area and it was beautiful! BUT, there will be tourists. not as many as you'll see in other parts of the island, though.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Melissa. We're are considering the Ihilani (it is beautiful) but it doesn't seem private enough. We were thinking it would be hard to arrange the wedding pics without snapping people in the background. But it's a possibility...
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:59 PM

There is a park at the base of Diamond Head that is popular for weddings, and there really will be no tourists around. However, it's windy. REALLY windy.

Also it's on the east side of the island, so......
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:08 AM

If you use a place which hosts weddings, like Turtle Bay Resort which you mentioned, wouldn't they provide some privacy? At the very least, hopefully, there would be only respectful hotel guests at a distance, since the resort's beach (as opposed to the nearby ones like Sunset Beach) is a bit off the main road. It's been yrs since I saw it--it was a Hilton then--but it seemd enough off the beaten track to provide what you require.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I've been to a ton of weddings here on Oahu and not one hotel has provided "privacy" for outdoor weddings. I guess you need to be a celebrity?
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I agree there's really no such thing as privacy on any beachfront property unless it's a private estate with restricted access. Bill Gates we are not. I guess the private estate thing is an option. The prices are way scary going that route though. I heard about this rather isolated stretch of beach on the Turtle Bay property but you'd have to golf cart your way across the entire course to get to it. Can you picture shuttling a couple hundred guests out to that? LOL, and my family would drag race those damn things and break them probably...