Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best "little known" vacation destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems the same destinations and popular cities are posted about over and over again. Obviously these are great vaca spots (hawaii, new orleans, nyc, vegas, etc). However my question is this . . .

What vacation spot do you love that most people haven't visited (or even heard of)?

I'll start. We went to St John, USVI last year and it is truly and undiscovered gem. Not a traffic light on the island, secluded beaches, great hiking, great dining, and gorgeous oceanview villas/houses for very reasonable rates.

Also, Kentucky is a great state to visit. Beautiful hiking, horse farms, distillaries to tour, and lots of back to basics fun.

What desitinations have you visited that others might not know about?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Bandera, Texas and the surrounding hill country. It's fun to stay in the "Cowboy Capitol of the World" and do day trips to the lovely surrounding towns. Beautiful scenery!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:48 AM

I always say there are"hidden gems" in our own backyards. I love to be a tourist in my own city. St. Louis.
There are scenic areas all over the state with wineries, fabulous fishing areas, romantic inns, great hiking, historic towns.....
When time is limited or of course when $ are limited we take advantage these places.
Some of our favorite places in Europe are the more remote untouristy areas as well.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Haven't been there yet but I've heard that Madison, Indiana, right down on the Ohio River is a little gem. It's a quaint little town and has a beautiful state park nearby.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Thank you, Snowrooster, for your kind words about Kentucky. Although I am somewhat prejudiced, I think Kentucky is a great state to visit. We have such a wide variety of scenery and culture...from the rolling horse country in the central section of the state to the rugged hills of the eastern section to the Land between the Lakes in the west. Add in the friendly natives, and you have the makings of a great vacation spot. Come visit us here in KY!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:29 PM

"Little known" and "undiscovered" are the catch. Places that are unheard of by many are familair to others. For example, on the Caribbean board St. John is probably the most commonly and highly recommended island of all. And many more people who live in the southeastern US know about it than those in the pacific northwest for obvious reasons.
Even Sedona, commonly recommended by those familiar with AZ, is little known by many in the northeast.
For me, the following places come to mind:
Coastal Maine: people in the west and midwest are often oblivious to its charms.
San Juan Islands, Washington state.
Sun Valley, Idaho
Glacier National Park (not nearly as much press and publicity as Yellowstone, Tetons, etc).
Charleston SC: appreciated by very few westerners that I know.
Same with Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket--most westerners seem to be in the dark about them.
Kohler, Wisconsin: the American Club is remarkably anonymous for being the only AAA 5 Diamond resort between Colorado and West Virginia; both the resort and area up into Door County are worth a visit.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:53 PM

In Spring and Fall, the Texas Hill Country is really amazing as was mentioned.
The "Big Bend" National park is very special also - it's "least visited" which makes it better.
Lots of recent posts describe the great local and surrounding attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc.
A real world apart if you've never been to "SW Texas".
M
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Not necessarily "little known" to people that live in central Texas- but I love Fredericksburg! Cute German town in the Texas Hill Country. I never get tired of visiting there. My other one is Blowing Rock North Carolina. I adore this place. It is in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and not commercialized like many areas of Great Smoky Mtn. National Park. Some of the most gorgeous untouched country I have ever seen.