Best Italian Romantic Restaurant

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Mark

Best Italian Romantic Restaurant

We will be in NYC in July for long anniversary weekend. We have tickets to The Producers for the Sat 8 PM show. It would be nice to catch dinner before although I know places are crowded. What time do most "theater" people eat before a 8PM show?

Can anyone point me to a romantic Italian restaurant that is reasonable ($100-150 max for two)? This could be for for either Friday or Saturday evening. We may do it Friday so that we are not rushed.

Thanks

We will be staying at the Essex House.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:58 AM
tom

ttt

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Frank

Mark: Good choice on the Essex House, think you'll like it.

I would make a 5:30PM reservation for dinner within walking distance of your theater. That will allow 2 hours for a leisurely dinner and then give you time to get to the theater and flip through your playbill.

Coco Pazzo Teatro is in your price range and offers some good food but I'm not sure if I would consider it romantic. More trendy/classy located in the Muse Hotel on W. 49th Street in the theater district. Website cocopazzoteatro.com

Barbetta is definitely romantic and has been around for nearly 100 years. Some say past it's prime but you can check out the website at barbettarestaurant.com and see for yourself. Prices are high so you will need to order carefully.

If you decide to go on Friday evening for dinner, check out Rossini's on 38th and Park Ave. Romantic/Elegant in a Rat Pack sort of way. Excellant food but high prices so order carefully. Has a great opera dinner on Saturday nights, but that will not fit into your timing for the theater.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:47 AM
steve

Coco Pazzo Teatro is located in the Time Hotel. The restaurant in the Muse Hotel is called District.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Frank

Steve: Right you are, thanks for the correction.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Beth

Hi, Mark.

My parents were celebrating their 35th anniversary in January so I planned a trip to New York for them. Of all the restaurants I picked out for them their absolute favorite was Ristorante DeGrezia. They loved the old world ambiance and raved over the food, they're Italian so they should know.

It's a little over a mile from your hotel. If you wanted something closer to the theaters you might want to try Remi. My parents didn't like it as much as DeGrezia's but thought it was very nice.

Here's a link if you're interested.
http://degrezia.citysearch.com

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Rachele

There is a nice and reasonably priced Italian restaurant called Becco on W.46th. The food is great -- when you reserve, try to get a table in the back room with the skylight.