Best experience in SF?

Search

Best experience in SF?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best experience in SF?

I would appreciate hearing from others what their favorite experience was while visiting San Francisco. Also what were your favorite restraunt experiences? Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:19 PM

I am not sure when you will be traveling, but if you can go during the time that the Blue Angels do their show over the Bay it is magnificent. You can stand down on Fisherman's Warf and see the show. Lots of fun. Also, take a Bay cruise if you can. They are very nice and you get great views of the city, Alcatraz and the Golden Gate. I went on the Red & White Bay Cruise. Not expensive. Hope you have a great trip!
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:32 PM

The Blue Angels are not scheduled this year in SF. If you ever get the opportunity to see their show, it is fantastic!!! Here's their schedule for 2004. If you can see one of their shows, you will not be disappointed.

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/genin..._schedule.html
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:22 PM

I know I posted this a while back when someone here posed a similar question, but here goes -

I've been to SF more times than I can remember (beginning in 1969), but one experience remains memorable to the point of being indelible.

This was during a warm evening in the fall of 1988.

I was waiting, on the Powell St. steps of the Westin St. Francis for some friends to pick me up in their car (going out to Sausolito for a late dinner).

The fog was rolling in, flowing downhill along Powell from Nob Hill and was thick enough to cause the neon sign atop the Sir Francis Drake Hotel to appear as no more than a crimson blur.

The cable cars were clanking up and down Powell on their trips to or from their terminus, the Market St. turntable. Their headlights not penetrating the "soup", appearing as sort of a yellowish-white glow.

I swear that for a moment I saw a trench-coated, (pun not intended)fedored, Bogart (as Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon, stepping out of the haze that was encompassing Union Square pausing for a moment, lighting a cigarette, then hailing a cab.

Yeah, I know - corny as hell, but you asked!

Restaurants - so many excellent ones. One of my favorites (no ambiance, but tons of atmosphere and simple but very satisfying "man" food - "Lefty O'Doul's."

(If you're a baseball fan, you must go there, even if only for a brew.)
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:18 AM

TroyMan, Our family (ages 17 - 47 - I give you that to let you know that we were basically an "adult" group. I think that sometimes matters in accordance with likes and dislikes) visited San Franciso last summer and had an amazing trip. Our favorite restaurant (voted favorite by all of us) was Cafe Marimba located in the Marina/Cow Hollow Area. Here is a link which will descibe it in detail for you... http://www.sfstation.com/restaurants/cafemarimba/ We LOVED this place and it was the highlight dining experience of our trip. Our favorite "tourist" experiences were, without doubt, Alcatraz, walking the Golden Gate Bridge, watching the seals at Pier 39 and going to the baseball game. I know some people don't enjoy Alcatraz, but our group did. We found it very, very interesting, as we are a bit of history buffs. All my life I had seen the Golden Gate Bridge in movies, pictures, documentaries, etc., so for us, it was a delight to walk the bridge in the cold fog hearing the foghorns below..... Amazing..... Also, my husband and son are big baseball fans.. So much of my pleasure was watching them get to explore another baseball park and the smiles on their faces... The game was good, but the company was better!! Also, I LOVED the garlic fries at the game. Have fun... San Francisco is an amazing city and we can't wait to go back. Vacationmom
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Doh

We really enjoyed renting bikes near Fisherman's Wharf and biking across the Golden Gate and into Sausalito, then taking the ferry back to the Embarcadero and biking back to FW. Also Muir Woods was very nice.
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:10 AM

For rahmanbar,
I'm so glad to see your favorite memory includes our famous summer fog! While so many regard it as something to be avoided, others who really love the City revel in it. I look forward to it every year. Makes me feel that I'm really and truly "home".
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:06 AM

I live here. Love Sausalito and Stinson Beach.

Favorite restaurant so far is Tonga Room, after 7 or 8 pm when the storm starts.

Also Lake Tahoe, Yosemite.
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Kal

Anniv dinner at the Carnelian Room.
Had a few after dinner cocktails in their lounge at a window seat. Watched the clouds roll in thru SF below us.

Staying at FWharf, got up early and watched a sunrise at the end of Pier 39.
(Bad part is my camera broke that morning!!)

Staying at the wharf and got up early(again) and walked all the way down the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building and watched The City slowly wake up.

Forgot how much fun Capp's Corner in NoBeach was.
Ditto the bars at The Washbag (Washington Sq Bar and Grill) and Moose's.

Walking tour of NoBeach w/ GraceAnn Walden.

The Gang at Shanghai Kelly's. Seems to be SF's answer to "Cheers" (Bull and Finch?).

Meeting some of the SF area Fodorites last year.

Riding my bike thru the Financial District, Civic Center and Un Sq areas very early in the morning while Mrs Kal was running the Bay to Breakers.

Sitting in the Buena Vista Cafe sipping Irish Coffees.

Ahhhhhh...when are we going back?? :-?
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Kal, How about Sunday? It's the B to B run!
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:58 AM

For a split second Kal's post said: riding a bike while Mrs Kal was running behind. Hmmm....
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Kal

G'hop,
We forgot all about the B2B when we booked this weekend's "quartly meeting" with some old friends.
Doing The Torch Club and Lucca's. Not quite SF but soooo Sakamenna!

If anybody out there hasn't experienced running in or just watching the B2B you really should...but beware, it IS soooo SF!
And look out for flying tortillas!

My fave is still the Tiki Bar.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Kal

FA,

I'd do that but it would have to be at arm's length because she's been know to take a swing when she's tired, cranky and hungry while I'm trying to "encourage" her. :-"
Old May 14th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Ah, yes the Tiki Bar - a true highlight. Running (or walking) the Bay to Breakers is something everyone should try to do at some point. The crowd is so encouraging and fellow costumed "runners" are so fun to watch you forget your hurting feet. An "only in SF" experience!
Old May 14th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Or the un-costumed runners! Tomorrow should be great. Perfect 60-70 degree weather. Last year it rained.
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Kal

We "listened" to the race on KGO. It even SOUNDS funny!

BTW...if any of you find yourself "stuck in Sacto" on a Sunday afternoon, The Torch Club has an open blues jam session from 4:30 to 8:00pm.
I told Mrs Kal that all you needed was the room full of smoke and about 90% humidity and it's just like NOLA!

We had a blast will def go back.

As for "Lucca"...how can a restaurant run out of DE CAFF COFFEE at 8:30pm???
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:24 PM

I've been to San Francisco three times in the past year (I'm addicted!), and had the best meal of MY ENTIRE LIFE at Harris'. www.harrisrestaurant.com
The concierge at our hotel suggested it.
It's at 2100 Van Ness Ave. (at Pacific) All of the food was absolutely perfect, and the desserts are to die for.

Best Wishes!
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:13 AM
dcespedes

Just returned from making my third trip to San Fran and I would not miss the impressive, and I believe relatively new, Market at the old Ferry Building along the Embarcadero. The best time to go is the weekend--the place is incredible. There are butchers, bakers--unsure about the candle stick makers--Wow! Wish the city in which I live had such a place!!!

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:44 AM

It has been quite a few years ago, but one of my best memories there is being at the Buena Vista bar, drinking Irish coffee and watching the fog roll in.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:18 AM

One of my favorite experiences was renting a bike and riding across the Golden Gate to Sausalito and Tiburon, then teking a ferry to Angel Island, then back to SF. What amazing views!

Also taking the lo-o-o-n-n-g stairway to Coit Tower was a highlight. Again, amazing views...and you're walking right through people's backyards!

And of course, there are the sea lions. I could watch them all day...they're very entertaining.

My favorite restaurant experience was Absinthe. Definitely one of the top 10 meals of my life. Expensive, but worth it (ok, my company paid for it anyway!!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -