Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best comedies or musicals to see in New York during April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have booked Nice Work if You Can Get It! But after reading some of the reviews, not sure if this was a good idea.
Any suggestions?
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:17 PM

What reviews for Nice Work If You Can Get It? The show just opened for previews last week, so there haven't been any reviews. And, the only thing I've read on Fodor's was a favorable comment by a poster who saw it.
Other musicals? Start with Anything Goes.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HowardR!
Just did a Google Search on it and read some reviews about rehearsals, previews, etc.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM

Agree about Anything Goes. What else have you see so we don't reco repeats?
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Don't put too much stock in those sites with "reviews" of shows before they open. They are often notoriously prejudiced--sometimes favorably and sometimes negatively.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Clybourne Park has its funny moments and I thought it was excellent.

http://clybournepark.com/index.php?aid=ADV000000800
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 06:24 AM

There are a bunch of things due to open this month. Look at the right column here and reviews for others on the left.
http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/magic-bird.html
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM

The Lyons
Peter and the Starcatcher

I don't recommend Don't Dress for Dinner
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone!!!!
This will be our first time to visit New York!!! Very Excited!
Just wondering....are there any mid-week afternoon shows?
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM

All shows have Wednesday matinees.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Great!!!! Would love to see Chicago!!!!!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Think we need to buy tickets in advance Chicago Wednesday matinee?
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:50 AM

What you can do is go to broadwaybox.com and print out a copy of the discount offer for the showand then take it to the theater box office when you get to the city. Chances are you'll still be able to get decent seats as the show is not selling out.
Of course, you can always run off a copy of the discount offer and then call in advance prior to your arrival in the city for tickets, but then you are paying a $7-7.50 per ticket service charge. I, personally would wait until I get to the city and get the discount tickets.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM

Definitely see Anything Goes. It is the quintessential Broadway dance musical, and it is very very well done. You will leave happy and humming.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:05 PM

There are also discount tickets available for Anything Goes on the broadwaybox.com website.
You can't go wrong with either Chicago or Anything Goes.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM

We are going in late June. Can you give me an idea as to the timing on when I should buy tickets if I really want a discount?

We are a family of 5 so my guess is that I should buy them ahead of time, correct? (We don't all 5 absolutely need to sit next to each other, but at least 2 and 3 together.)

Also, won't the new releases likely NOT be on the discounted list? Or does it all depend on how well the initial reviews go?
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM

If your goal is to get a discount but you don't care what show you get, then arrive at TKTS around 5:15 in the afternoon for an evening performance; even during the heart of the tourist season you are likely to have your tickets in hand within 30 minutes or less. If you want a matinee ticket, go down to the South Street Seaport on Tuesday or Saturday morning (ideally as soon as they open).

A handful of newer shows (including Once) are already showing up at TKTS with a 30% discount. But the really popular shows never show up at TKTS. Newer plays---even very popular plays---still often show up at TKTS near the opening. War Horse has been there since a month or two after it first opened. Just realize that a LOT of new shows will open between how and the Tony cut-off in late May, so those shows are much less likely to show up discounted. But last week, both Evita and Jesus Christ Superstar both appeared at TKTS (I don't know which day). But the availability of some of the big shows changes during the summer season, when there are more tourists in town. Still, I read in the NYTimes today that the average ticket price paid for the top 5 shows (including Book of Mormon) is well above the top regular ticket price since most of the best seats are being sold at premium prices (i.e., about $30 to $70 above the highest regular priced seat). If you want to see a very popular show, buy tickets now and resign yourself to paying more than full price.

While you are unlikely to get 5 tickets together for any show, you can almost always get 2 tickets together (and I suspect 3 would also work). But for most shows that are discounting as a rule, there is never a need to wait in the TKTS line. Just use a Broadwaybox.com discount offer and buy them in advance. You can find the codes by joining Playbill.com.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM

Doug has answered most of 5alive's concerns and questions. As for when to buy the tickets, it obviously depends on what shows you want to see and how easy or difficult it is to get tickets for them. So, if you let us know what shows interest you, we might be able to guide you better.
As a general comment, if you're looking for discounted tickets, then obviously check the disoount offers to see if they are still usable for your dates. If a current offer expires before your planned visit, you have two options:
1. Keep checking the website for an update on the offer.
2. Try using the information given for the expired offer. It sometimes still works.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 04:26 PM

Memphis...it is GREAT!!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Thanks to both of you!

It appears to me from the websites that 30-35 percent off is the more frequent offer, and some that have been around a while might be 50 percent off. Is that a valid assessment?

I have studied the websites and I do have some preferences, but definitely not hooked to any one show. I would like something more traditional with sets and costumes (not the no-set minimalist black approach) and lean toward a musical. I ranked them in tiers.

Any of these would be my first preference: Anything Goes, Nice Work if You Can Get it, How to succeed in Business, Ghost the Musical, Newsies, End of the Rainbow, Gershwin's Porgy and Bess

Would still be quite happy to see: Mary Poppins, Lion King, Peter and the Star Catcher, Memphis, Death of a Salesman (just husband and me), War Horse (big maybe, less enthused about this one)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -