Best Coastal View near San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'll be visiting CA soon for a wedding, the ceremony will be near San Francisco (Mountain View area), if I only have 1 day, where can I find a beach view worthy of Big Surr...without the drive.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM

>>where can I find a beach view worthy of Big Surr...without the drive.<<

Nothing is as nice as Big Sur. The best we have up here is the San Mateo Coast. If you have most of the day, head to Santa Ceuz via Los Gatos (nice town for a stop & wander). Then up the coast to Half Moon Bay at Hwy 92. Then inland, and at the first right (Main St) turn right & go into town and wander around this cute village (not quite as nice as Carmel).

Drive along the coast from South to North for the best views, and also so the sun won't be in your face and obsure the views.

Stu Dudley Then continue inland on 92 till you hit 101, then get back to Mountain View. There are several State beaches to stop & explore along the way - you'll find them.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Wow! "Best"! what is "best"?

I'd suggest that you drive up to San Francisco itself.

Cross the Golden Gate Bridge and take in the Vista Point view (first exit).

Next exit on the right, the second exit, after the Golden Gate Bridge is Alexander Ave. Take that and go UNDER the freeway and make your way to the Marin Headlands. Park at the top of the hill in the dirt and walk up to the battery point and catch the view back.

Then come back across the Golden Gate Bridge, get yourself onto Geary Street going west and drive all the way to the end towards the ocean. At the Cliff House, stop. The view of Ocean Beach from the Cliff House is a lovely panoramic view.

Then go south on Ocean Boulevard and keep with Highway 1 southbound along the ocean. Go as far south as you want to before cutting inland back to Mountain View.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Also the drive to Half Moon Bay.

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:28 PM

If you are going to be here soon, you might consider driving out to Ano Nuevo State Natural Reserve and take a look at the elephant seals. This is a unique natural phenomenon but you have to plan your visit in advance. Reservations are required.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM

happytrails, the drive to Half Moon Bay from where? From my house, the drive is very nice, but not what I'd call spectacular.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:36 AM

We drive on Highway 1, also known as the Cabrillo Highway, which passes through Pacifica, Moss Beach and Miramar. There are some beautiful views along the way and they continue as the highway hugs the coast most of the way to Santa Cruz.

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:50 AM

IMO, I would skip the portion of Hwy 1 from Half Moon Bay to San Francisco. There are some views, but much of the drive has no views at all & there is some commerce along the way. The section around Devil's Slide is very nice - but a little dangerous if you try to drive too fast. The section is appropriatly named. Also, at Devil's Slide you really need to get out of the car to appreciate the views. There is a "clothing optional" beach at Devils Slide if you'll be here in good beach weather & forgot your suit!!

I never thought driving through Pacifica was that scenic. OK - but nothing special, except for a glimps of the beach looking south.

From HMB, as soon as you get past the Ritz Carlton, there are unobstructed views of the ocean all the way to Davenport. Actually, the views inland are quite nice too. Remember, drive south to north so the sun won't be in your face.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Opinions to the contrary notwithstanding, we enjoy the drive I described. It is unlike anything we have here in Washington State--or even in nearby Oregon, which we visit often.

It is a great experience to drive on Highway 1 from Rockport (north of San Francisco) to Santa Monica and we would do it every year if we could.

Another very favorite drive, seldom extolled, is the one between Crescent City and Eureka.

HTTY

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM

I love the coast at Point Reyes National Seashore along the Sonoma Coast. As previously noted, there is no place like Big Sur but Point Reyes is quite nice.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM

I agree with the Point Reyes recommendation.

We try to go down at least once a year.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Pt Reyes is quite nice, but it is pretty far away from Mountain View. It might be "stretching" it for a new visitor to the Bay Area, if they also include the drive along the San Mateo Coast.

The drive down to Big Sur (where the OP really wanted to go) from Mountain View may take less time than the drive to Pt Reyes

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I can't believe nobody thinks the stretch of beach along the Great Highway is worth visiting. It's so typically Northern California beach at its unpretentious, least-sunbathing-friendly, wild-and-wooly best! Sure, it abuts a highway, but the second you step out of your car and onto that sand, you are absolutely transported.

And Fort Baker beach is also fantastico --
http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/park.asp?park=1

Two great spots right in the city!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

We orig. planned to visit Reno but due to unpredicable weather...we'll likely visit Big Surr after all...

So a change of plan... 3 full days from San Francisco to Big Surr. I'll create a new post... Thanks all for sharing!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Good - but spell Big Sur correctly if you need to Google sometning.

Stu Dudley