driving from St. Louis to Salt Lake

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this site, but what I've seen so far has given me a lot of ideas. I'm planning on driving from St. Louis, MO to Salt Lake City towards the end of April. I need help on planning my trip. I have to kids & I'm looking for cool & interesting things to do/see along the way, & maybe interesting places to stay. Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM

<I have to kids>

Did you mean "two" or "no"? Makes a difference.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it does make a big difference..I meant to say that I have No kids.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:23 AM

I-70 to Denver, I-25 to Cheyenne, and I-80 to SLC is probably the fastest route, however, if you have the time, there are much more scenic routes.

Before you get into Colorado, your route will parallel the old Santa Fe Trail. It might bring added interest for your kids to read a bit about that trail before the trip.

There are three spots you may be interested in after you get into Kansas. Fort Riley is still an active military base but it also has a couple of good museums and interesting old buildings. As a matter of interest it was, for many years, the base for the buffalo soldiers, black cavalry that helped pacify the western plains.

A little farther west, Abilene is home to the Eisenhower Center, a museum, library, and nice grounds which includes his boyhood home. My kids enjoyed their visit there many years ago and it is even better now.

Between Fort Riley and Abilene, you can head south for about 30 miles to Council Grove. This historic town was one of the gathering places for Santa Fe Trail expeditions.

In Denver, continuing on I-70 to I-15 will be almost as fast and considerably more scenic than the I-80 route. Even better but less fast will be I-70 to Empire west of Denver, and then US-40 to SLC.

On either the I-70 or US-40 route, it is seriously scenic and there's lots for the family to do. Just west of Denver, at the Lookout Mountain exit, there's a herd of buffalo (bison) that are often close enough to the road to see and photograph. Taking the Lookout Mountain exit for 2-3 miles north, Buffalo Bill's grave and a small museum are interesting if the kids like western history. That same road will give you a spectacular view of Denver and the high prairie.

Just a couple of miles past Empire on I-70, Georgetown is an old mining town that retains much of the charm of Victorian Colorado. Lot's of nice shops and restaurants and original flavor. The Georgetown Loop Narrow Guage Railway also operates from there and is an interesting ride. I'm not sure if it operates that early in the year.

If you take the US-40 route, after you get into Utah, you'll be passing right by Dinasaur National Monument and that is also worth a visit, especially for the kids.

A word of caution: although all the routes I recommended are main travel routes and are usually kept open, early spring storms are not unheard of and could cause brief delays on any of them.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Whoops. I was composing my reply while the question about kids was raised.

Some of what I wrote may still be pertinent but probably not all.

Denver has great nightlife as do Georgetown and Evergreen, another city west of Denver. The nightlife and entertainment in Denver is usally a bit more sophisticated and in Georgetown and Evergreen, more saloonish (Is that even a word?). That's not a judgement, just a description. I enjoy both.

If you take your time getting through the mountains, there are many transendant views to admire and photograph.