Search

best car rental?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best car rental?

I'm going to be renting a car for the first time on a late March trip to Austin. I'm searching through various websites, and just don't want to trip into something that's going to give me a major headache. I'm considering places such as Thrifty, Alamo, National, Enterprise. Any thoughts or experiences on which company does things right? Thank you much~
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:11 AM

I have found all the national name brands essentially the same. I usually shop price and location - is the rental counter in the airport (Enterprise often is not)

Just 5 minutes ago got done reserving a car for Florida trip next week. Researched on Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia and then several individual rental company websites - price for compact car for 5 days for specific company was within $10 on all websites.

Check bills and junk mail you get from any airline FF account or credit card - sometimes they have discount coupons/codes enclosed - but check carefully because sometimes the "discount" is not.

When you arrive to rent car, they will try to almost double the price with various optional insurances - sometimes with a very hard sell. Check with your own auto policy and with credit card company because in almost all cases you are already covered for these and do not need to buy the additional insurance (even though the rental agent will try to scare you into buying it)

One last point, if you are age 21-24 or have a severely blemished driving record, you will pay more - websites of companies have details.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I always use Alamo/National (they are owned by the same company now) and have never had a problem. Sign up on their website to receive discounts by email.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:18 AM
J62

Dollar and Alamo consistently have the best prices at Austin airport. Both are in terminal, and the cars are in the attached parking garage, along with the other big guys.

Use orbitz.com for comparison shopping, then book your car directly through the co's website.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:25 AM

I have been a frequent renter for 10 years and have to say that I LOVE NATIONAL!
I have been using them exclusively for 3 years and I tell ya, I have been able to get the best cars for just about every rental.
In 2006 I have selected a Magnum, a 300, a Jeep 4WD and an HHR... all BRAND NEW!
And for all these rentals I paid for an Intermediate size car.
I am totally sold on National and love picking out my own cars!!!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Hi. Gail has summed up things pretty well. I will only emphasize the point of checking with your personal auto insurance company about coverage. Almost all policies cover rental cars. Just make sure. Have fun in Austin. I've had good luck with Alamo.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM

I've had minor annoyances with all of them. The only one I really advoid is Enterprise - since they twice gave me cars with mechanical/safety problems (they were mandated by the company I worked for - until I complained).

Once they gave me a car - their last one - with no mirror on the passenger side of the car. Another time they gave me a car with dicey (screeching) breaks - that I had to go back and change the next day - over their protest.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM

I like Hertz, which I book with my AAA discount. Budget in Kansas City once tried to rent me a car that looked like somebody had been murdered in the front passenger seat. I've had good luck with Enterprise in Seattle while my car was in the body shop.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I always book with Budget. I have never had any problems with them. They are in the major airports. I have found by checking various companies there was not that much difference price wise and I have never had any hassles with Budget. They ask if I want the extra insurance and I say no I am fully covered by my own company and present them with my letter from my agent which they do not even take or look at just say ok.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. . .all your help has been very helpful and much appreciated!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM

I've had good experiences booking through Hotwire. They contract with well-known companies at less expensive rates.