Kayaking and Climbing - Maine Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at possibly trying to step out of our routine and try some new things and wanted to see what experiences people have had along the maine coast regarding climbing and/or kayaking (through a tour or guide). In our case, no experience and beginner friendly a must. Looking for short excersions, half day at most and probably shoot for one of the 2 to 3 hour ones.

I see there are a number of companies out there but would love to hear from people who have tried it. Probably looking in the Bar Harbor/Acadia area but open to any of the coastal options.

Will be going in late September and wonder about the cold water for kayaking - do some provide wetsuits? For the climbing or the kayaking is it at all practical to bring a camera or is that just asking for disaster? Seemed like one brochure mentioned a waterproof bag but I did not know if that would work for a camera - take it out periodically while steady and put it back in-between to be safe. For the climbing, would it be in the way or is it workable?

Thanks for any input.

Lo
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM

http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/kayak...reas2001.shtml

Late September could be cold, or it could be really beautiful. That's a link to some outfitters in Maine by region. Acadia would be great because you can do lots of activities there....climbing, hiking, kayaking....

They will have waterproof bags for your camera and stuff and they do provide wetsuits. You'll want to check on availability in late September before you make too many plans. Have fun!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:08 AM

tbelgian is right on all counts. In late Sept the water can still be warm, but up here 'warm' is all relative. I think they will offer wetsuits but you may not have to get wet. This isn't like whitewater kayaking.

I assume you mean technical rock climbing, with ropes, bilays, etc? If so I know there are guided programs in Acadia. You certainly can bring a camera because the climbs are short and you will be staying in a 'confined' area with places to leave things. If you're talking about hiking, of course you can bring a camera.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

tbelgian - thanks for the link - there were a few on there I had not previously seen; would hate to get out there and not be able to take pictures, but also don't want to hurt the camera and was not sure how stable the kayaks would be. I tinkt he waterproof bag would be perfect to keep the camera safe and just pull it out for pictures here and there.

cindyj - yes, technical rock climbing or more interesting to me would be rappelling back down. Just sounds like it would be a great place to do it.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Not sure what type of camera you have, but you might look at a DicaPac for it. It's essentially a dry bag made to fit your camera - with a lens area. I've used mine to actually take my camera into the ocean many times and take pictures underwater while snorkeling, on boats, or just to take pictures from the water without worrying about sand/water damage. It only cost about $35 for one that fits my camera. You can search DicaPac on Amazon or Google.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Will check it out - had a friend who was looking into something similar a ways back but don't think he ever got one - I would have thought they would be more expensive. Will definitely check it out though. Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

mrkindallas - checked out the dicapac but it was a little more than I wanted to spend - however, I did notice that Acadia Park Kayak Tours provides them for the trip (along with some other waterproof gear) that will come in handy.

Still trying to find something on climbing/rappelling.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM

North Conway NH has some pretty big rock climbing sources.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Try Acadia Mountain Guides or Atlantic Climbing School, both have websites.