Need restaurant recommendations for Atlanta

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need restaurant recommendations for Atlanta

We will be in Atlanta Labor Day weekend for the VT-Alabama game.

Need recommendations for dinner that Friday night. Price is not a significant option. Food and wine is. A place that takes reservations even better. There will probably be 4-6 of us, no kids. We like steak, seafood, Italian, Southern, Mexican and anything that would fall under continental/New American and the like.

Also need a recommendation for brunch on Saturday and Sunday. We will be staying downtown near the Georgia Dome. We will not have a car, but do not mind walking or taking a cab.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM

Hi Janet,
We visit ATL often as our son is in college there. Here is a list of our favorite restaurants in no particular order, also one or two on our "wanna try" list:

TWO urban licks www.twourbanlicks.com

Very cool warehouse restaurant with amazing food. Overlooks ATL skyline which is gorgeous at night; play bocce in back; the bar is quite a scene; great people watching; wine served from metal barrels. We go here a lot! (Just there July 10th)

Atlanta Fish Market www.buckheadrestaurants.com
Great seafood, not the greatest ambiance.

Aria www.aria-atl.com
Really lovely place with fabulous food and wine.

Buckhead Diner www.buckheadrestaurants.com
Very chic diner with great food. Try the house homemade chips and dip.

La Tavola www.latavolatrattoria.com
Our favorite Italian.

Bones www.bonesrestaurant.com
Amazing steaks and wine.

Nava www.buckheadrestaurants.com
Southwestern
Great margaritas!! Good food; very pretty place, can sit outside although it's on a
busy road

Want to try:

Tamarind Seed Thai Bistro www.tamarindseed.com

Brunch:
We usually go to a place in Virginia-Highlands called

American Roadhouse www..american-roadhouse.com
They don't take reservations but the wait isn't usually long. Great neighborhood
to browse in.

Buckhead Diner serves brunch also.

That's all I can think of for now! Bon Appetit!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM

My new favorite place is 4th & Swift - 1 regular menu per season + another menu of daily specials. Good, fresh - incredible cheese biscuits "new American" www.4thandswift.com

Another great place with emphasis on local and fresh ingredients is Restaurant Eugene. I think they just changed their menu but it was fabulous when we ate their last summer. www.restauranteugene.com

For "new Southern" - try JCT Kitchen www.jctkitchen.com

For Italian - Sotto Sotto or it's more casual pizzeria next door Fritti - both are good places with lively atmosphere - www.sottosottorestaurant.com
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 03:09 AM

You've gotten quite a few excellent suggestions already--I really like 2UL

Noone has mentioned Mexican/Tex Mex...my fave is Nuevo Laredo. I do need to warn you that they do not take reservations and there is always a wait on a Sat. night. Going for lunch might be a better bet. Closed Sundays

Brunch--not fancy but yummy is Two Thumbs Up. I love their veggie scramble! Did you say you will have a car? They have a location near GA Tech which wouldn't be too far for you.

Greek--Avra in midtown another thought.

If you feel like it, you can check out the forums on atlantacuisine.com for some ideas. It's like a local version of chowhound--and IMO easier to use for here.

309--We love La Tavola too...and Antica Posta in Buckhead. AP's owner is from Tuscany, Italy and his family has a sister restaurant in one of the hill towns.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 03:19 AM

Meant to mention: Wisteria (in Inman Park) for nuevo Southern...Babette's around the corner from Wisteria recommend.

Just read you won't have a car. None of the restaurant suggestions are walking distance from the Dome.

One that you could walk to (though not a super close walk) is French American Bistro on Ivan Alan Blvd.

There's a Ruth Chris downtown...It's ok but I personally like other steakhouses more, for example Bones in Buckhead.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Someone on another forum suggested Rathburn's...any thoughts/feelings?
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 06:01 AM

Thanks OWJ! Wisteria is also on my wanna try list.
Will add Antica Posta.
P
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM

LOVE Rathbun's (note correct spelling) as well, but just realized like other poster that you say you won't have a car. As long as you are okay with taking a cab just know that none of these places is close by. Exception is French American Bistro, closest but I still wouldn't walk it. Haven't been there myself but it gets good local reviews and is on my list of places to try.

Rathbun's has a really interesting menu - going the way of the sharing plates idea, though you can get regular dinner entrees as well. There is also Rathbun's Steak for VERY high end steak house cuisine. I like the original Rathbun's better. And I do second Nuevo Laredo except for your saying you'd like to get reservations. Going early is one way to be sure that you get in or going with the idea that you will wait for an hour but can drink margarita's and have chips & guac outside in the patio/parking lot area. This is a REAL locals favorite but you just need to be prepared to wait.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the spelling correction We don't mind taking a fairly short cab ride and as long as we're not under a time crunch, we're good at waiting with cocktails (esp since we won't be driving)
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Second/third the recs for Two Urban Licks and Avra and Sotto Sotto.

But you'd have to take a cab to those places and if you are staying downtown without a car, there will be more convenient choices. You could take MARTA to the Arts Center station in midtown, and there are several choices in that general area around the intersection of Peachtree and 14th st.

Veni Vidi Vici is upmarket Italian. Trois is French, pricey but very good (part of the same group of restaurants that includes One Midtown Kitchen and Two Urban Licks - 123, get it?). South City Kitchen is on Crescent Ave. and that serves "nouveau" Southern. All of them are walking distance of the Arts Center MARTA station.