Reload this Page >

Best calving glacier

Search

Best calving glacier

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:46 AM
xxx

Best calving glacier

The number one thing we want to do in Alaska is see a calving glacier, but the options seem numerous.

Any one have any opinions? Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward? Boat tour out of Whittier or Valdez? Take the ferry to Cordova to see the one at the end of the Copper Highway? Or can you see a calving glacier from the Alaska Marine Highway ferry?

We're visiting the last two weeks in May and first week in June and will be renting a truck camper. Prices are a consideration so we probably don't want to take a boat tour as well as make a ferry crossing.

Thanks.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:51 AM
jason

We took a boat tour from Whittier and saw several calving glaciers.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:37 PM
Charlie

A big factor in seeing active calving glaciers is time of season.You are going in the early part of the season when the weather is still quite cool with less calving occuring.Mid July thru mid August yield more and larger calvings.I'm not familiar with most of the idea that you've mentioned but I believe Glacier Bay would be your best bet early in the season.I have been there a number of times on cruise ships but I don't know what options are available to you for a day trip to this area.The Kenai Fjords trip is always the highlight of my trip to Alaska,it is loaded with wildlife but you don't see more then a couple of glaciers up close.You didn't detail your trip plans but ,if possible,a north or south one way cruise that includes a Glacier Bay stop would be ideal.A pre or post cruise independent land tour be the icing on the cake.....good luck.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:33 PM
Connie

We loved the Kenai Fjords trip but didn't see much glacier calving. From my research it seems like you see more in Prince William Sound.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 01:22 PM
GOL

Hmmm. Isn't calving glaciers somewhat rare? Between weather and chance, there are no guarantees you will see a glacier calf. Given that, I would call up each operator and ask them what they suggest. ["I MUST see a glacier calf, how can you help me? / what would you suggest"] I took Kenai Fjords and Glacier Bay tours, and although we had a superior time on Kenai, we did not see (or hear) a glacier calf. The weather was so dreadful on our chosen day for the GB tour, the clouds were literally so low we could not see any mountains, nonetheless much in the way of glaciers. [I joke it was a very expensive way to get a $157.50 mug]

I would hire a private boat operator and have them take you near a glacier. We did for a whale watch, and I suspect you can for any activity. It was not very expensive (relatively) for a 1/2 day rate. This way you can stay put as long or as short as you need to to get your calving glacier in. The tours can't get 'that' close (bring binoculars for sure) - plus they are operating on a schedule and will not be able to 'hang around' until you get to see one calf. Be flexable. Give yourself a couple of days to 'try' to see them (maybe afternoon day one and morning of day 2) - in case weather does not cooperate or the water is rough.

In my opinion, there are many, many other spectacular things to do that surpass calving glaciers on my 'must do Alaska list'. Don't be blind to other 'surprises' you are not aware of - yet.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 01:50 PM
ALF

I think that the best chance of seing a glacier calve is in Glacier Bay, but it sounds like perhaps you are not going to be in SE Alaska? You are not going to see calving glaciers from a Marine Highway ferry, at least along the main line. A boat tour out of Whittier up into College Fjord should give you a good chance of seeing calving glaciers.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:09 PM
Linda

Be sure to visit Cordova via ferry from Whittier or Valdez. The Child's Glacier, near the Million Dollar Bridge, is one of the most awesome glaciers that is very active during June, July & August. It is a nice ferry ride from either one with a return to either and driving through Valdez and touring or through Whittier and driving down to Kenai and Seward, Homer etc. Have fun!!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:32 AM
Deborah

I went to Alaska in May and saw calving glaciers on both the tours I took. One was the 26 Glacier Tour on the Klondike Express out of Whittier which was wonderful. The other tour was of the Kenai fjords out of Seward. Both trips were fantastic. You will love Alaska.