Reload this Page >

Best art shows in America?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 09:30 AM
Joe

I'm following up on the "Best museums" thread. My wife and I became regulars at the annual Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts student show when we lived in Philadelphia, and we still go back each May. The Academy is the oldest (I think) art school in the country and the quality of the exhibits vary but is generally quite high. We ususally buy a painting or drawing each year, at prices that have ranged from $50 to $500. I'd like to hear about other shows that have good quality originals at reasonable prices. Thanks, Joe

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 10:51 AM
elaine

Joe,
I live in the Phila. area and did not realize there was a student show. Are the dates posted for May in advance...as this is something I would be interested in attending.
Thanks!

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 01:01 PM
lisa

I used to live in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and attended its annual art fair every year for seven years. Was told it's the largest juried art fair in the United States and I believe it -- it's actually 4 or 5 different fairs, and spreads out over the streets of much of the city, which you can meander at your leisure. It takes more than one day to see the whole thing -- I would allow 2 days just to see the parts you're most interested in and even then you wouldn't have time to see everything (but then you probably wouldn't want to see every single exhibit either). The quality ranges from homely crafts to major pieces costing thousands. Lots of fun, outdoors in the summertime, good weather, good food, relaxed collegiate setting with many artists eager to talk to you about their work. Exhibitors come from all over the world to show there and they turn down hundreds if not thousands of applicants every year. I haven't been in over 5 years now so have no idea if it's still as good or if it's gone downhill since then, but it might be worth checking out -- Ann Arbor is a great town.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 03:28 PM
sabrina

57th Street Art Fair, Hyde Park, Chicago.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 03:34 PM
Joe

Elaine, the Academy student show doesn't get a lot of publicity but is roughly the same time each year, at the end of the school year. I'd guess if you call now they can tell you next spring's dates. Joe

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 03:02 AM
elaine

Joe,
Thanks for the tip...will give them a call asap.

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 05:53 PM
noname

Ann Arbor is still great. Go every year and it only gets better each year.