Best area for Kennedy Space Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are batting around the idea of enrolling DS in the week-long day camp program at Kennedy (we were also considering the Virginia Space Academy-but that has lost some of its appeal, also we're having logistical issues, so all of this may be extremely theoretical). What would be the best area to stay in? Titusville? Cocoa Beach? We would be looking to balance cost/convenience/vacation amenities. Ease of dropping kid off and collecting him again is paramount, of course, but we would like to enjoy our vacation, and would probably prefer to be near the beach if it didn't make the logistics crazy. If beach wasn't practical, a nice motel pool would be fine, and DH and I are almost as fond of the space stuff as DS is. We NEED to be under $150 a night, and would like to be under $100. Less is always better, and except for the pool, we are not terribly fussy. Something like a Best Western is fine, and it can be even a little lower in the pecking order if there is something else to recommend it.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:55 AM

We had stayed in the Hampton Inn Titusville, which was okay but not more. The area is somewhat barren, with nothing but a few motels and a Cracker Barrel. We stayed there for one night - I can hardly imagine to spend a week there.

My brother and his wife have stayed at the Best Western Space Shuttle Inn and said it was the worst (and most expensive) Best Western they had ever stayed at.

I would seriously think about staying in Cocoa Beach.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:45 AM

persimmondeb, what time of year is this? I'm thinking from your other thread that it was summer. If that's correct, I'd go for Cocoa Beach.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, it's summer, at the moment looks like it might be early August. We were kind of thinking Cocoa Beach might be more fun. STILL trying to see if we can actually get the same week off (thought we had 4th of July week-and then my job had a conflict). Once that's settled, we'll see if we can get him into a program and work out other possibilities. DH was concerned that having to drop kid off and pick him up every day would get old as a vacation regimen, but that's something we'll have to figure out for ourselves.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Stay in Cocoa Beach. There's a nice decent long strip with lots of hotels and more things to do. There's the huge Ron Jon's Surf Shop and Cocoa Beach Surf Company. Also there is the pier area that is a local hangout with restaurants/shops. And usually always see surfers hitting the waves.
http://www.ronjons.com/
http://www.cocoabeachsurf.com/
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Hi persimmondeb!

The others are right about more to do in the Cocoa Beach area, but you will have a half-hour drive each way to get to the camp. That will be almost two hours on the road each day from Cocoa Beach. Space Camp is located at the Astronaut Hall of Fame, just off U.S. 1 in Titusville, which is less than 5 minutes from most Titusville motels.

The great thing about Titusville is that it is roughly 30 minutes from everything else. You might be better off staying there for easy access to the camp, then heading out to other areas during the day. You could easily get to Playlinda Beach for the day, or visit the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, or the KSC Visitors Center, and be back in time to pick up your camper at 4:00 p.m. There is also shopping at Cocoa Village, or an airboat ride at Midway Fish Camp west of town.

The problem with Titusville is that the town is desperate for restaurants. Fast food is the most readily available. You could try Durango's for steak, and Dixie Crossroads for seafood. El Leoncito's is usually good for Mexican.

It really depends on how much time you want to spend in the car.