Reload this Page >

Best & Safe Places in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 07:57 AM
C M Emerson

Hubby & I are somewhat conservative, but love history, jazz, blues, & architecture. Middle income range...can't afford the absolute best.
We'll have 3 days in New Orleans...what restaurants
and for which meals; what are the better listening clubs; and what sites "must" we see?

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 12:03 PM
Amie Melvin

New Orleans is a wonderful place! GEt your hands on a AAA guide book. That will give you a good idea on quality and price ranges for hotels. Try to stay on the French Quarter. This is the safest part of the city, and where all the entertainment and shopping is as well. You will want to go to the Jackson Brewery-a neat mall built in an old brewery. Also the River Walk is a nice mall that runs along the river. There are a ton of restaurants in the area as well. Some good places are Acmes Oyster Bar, The Gumbo Shop and Coppelands. But just walking around your nose and curiosity will bring you into just about any great place. In New ORleans you cant go wrong with food! You also HAVE to go to Cafe DuMonde and sit and drink cafe o'le, coffee or hot chochlat along with bengies (a french style doughnut) make sure you order two plates-- they are so gooooood! Also, in the early morning and evening there is usually someone playing the sax outside! New Orleans is really just something you have to experince to get the true feeling of what it is like. For entertainment there is The House of Blues (Very Famouse) they have a cover charge and it varies depending on who is playing. Also, if you just walk down Bourban St. you will find a spot to sit and listen to music and sip drinks. You definatly have to go to Pat O'Brians and sit out in thier courtyard by the fire waterfountian and sip drinks.
Hope you have a great time!

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 07:05 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Hello--I'm a Louisianian with perhaps a better knowledge of French than Amie has (sorry, Amie). So if you want to order any of her recommendations ask for (1) cafe au lait (coffee with milk) at the Cafe du Monde; and (2) two plates of beignets (pronounced bayn-yays). The restaurant she mentioned is Copeland's on St. Charles Avenue. Its neighbors and all fans of old New Orleans HATE it because it's all neon and noise. Go if you like but be warned. For jazz I'd also recommend Preservation Hall which has been in New Orleans longer than the House of Blues and which most Orleanians consider more authentic. Have a good trip, though. Joan

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 11:12 PM
Diane Singleton

We are going to New Orleans in June for a few days. We are looking into inexpensive but safe nice place to stay. What about Prytania Park Hotel? Also, I have fibromyalgia and can not walk for long times, will have to depend on wheelchair some. Will this present a problem around the area? Anyone with info to help me, please email me. Our interests are history and music.

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 11:13 PM
Diane Singleton

We are going to New Orleans in June for a few days. We are looking into inexpensive but safe nice place to stay. What about Prytania Park Hotel? Also, I have fibromyalgia and can not walk for long times, will have to depend on wheelchair some. Will this present a problem around the area? Anyone with info to help me, please email me. Our interests are history and music.

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 07:39 AM
Tom

As a native of NOLA, I would highly recommend staying at a hotel or B&B in the French Quarter. Although the time of year and conventions in town may affect prices, most (such as the Monteleone Hotel and the Ursiline Guest House) are reasonably priced and set among the main attractions of the city. Foodwise, I would recommend the Acme Oyster House for a dozen raw oysters, the Napoleon House for the Muffelatta and a Pimms Cup, Mona Lisa for pizza and Pasta (you can bring your own wine to save $), and Menas for fried catfish. All of the above are inexpensive. For more upscale dining, several of which have reasonably priced lunch specials Tuesday through Thursday, try Galatoire's (my favorite of the three sisters), Antoine's (where the luch specials are a real deal and don't forget the souffle potatoes), Bayona (sweatbreads are the specialty but everything is wonderful), and Mr. B's (the best of the Brennans restaurants in the area).
For jazz and other local music, the House of Blues is good, although not generally favored by locals because of difficulty parking and slightly high prices. Donnas and the Funky Butt on Rampart Street are both very good venues for local artists, but take a cab because that end of the Quarter doesn't have much foot traffic at night and, as a result, it lacks the safety of other parts of the Quarter. Get a copy of the Gambit ( a weekly local paper) or the Lagniappe (an insert to the local daily newspaper on Fridays) for the music and entertainment listings). Also, fell free to e-mail me if you have any other questions.

P.S. to Dianne: if you have some limitations walking, the Prytania Park may not be the best location for you. There are several similar B&Bs in the Quarter that will permit easier access to the city's attractions.

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 04:09 PM
Brian Ulmer

Dear Tom:

Would you please e-mail me names and phones of a few B&B. We plan to go their the end of March. Thanks.

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 07:46 PM
Michelle

We stayed at the Oliver House in the French Quarter - good location, not too expensive, wonderful family owned hotel - one warning, try to stay on courtyard side, street noise can be tiresome late at night, probably goes for most Fr.Qtr. B&B's? We ate dinner at "Petunia's" and it was wonderful!