Berkshires rainy day activities

Aug 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Berkshires rainy day activities

I'm going to the Berkshires in a couple days and the weather doesn't look so great at the moment. If it rains I was thinking of going to Mass Moca, but does anyone have other ideas for things to do or places to go? I'll be staying near Pittsfield but don't mind traveling a bit.
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:41 AM
yk

There are a bunch of suggestions in this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...berkshires.cfm

E.g.
Nrman Rockwell Museum
Chesterwood
Naumkeag

I think the last 2 have quite a bit of grounds and gardens, but you can still tour the interior if the weather is really that bad. I honestly do not think it'll be pouring rain all day, even if there's rain predicted. At this time of year, the rain is usually from thunderstorms which pass pretty quickly followed by sunshine..

Enjoy your visit.
Aug 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM

There are many lovely shops with interesting merchandise in Lenox and Great Barrington...With an umbrella in hand you can go from one to another and really enjoy seeing beautiful and unusual hand crafted jewelry, art, etc.
A spa day at Cranwell resort might also be a rainy day activity...!
Aug 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Ah rain..the last time we were East and headed to the Berksahires, it rained for 11 days straight. We did tour Edith Wharton's home and walked around the garden with umbrellas. It was actually quite nice.
Aug 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM

Look into Kripalu in Lenox. It is a yoga/new age kind of place. They have day programs for $75 which includes 3 meals and all of your activities that run sun up to sun down. In addition, they have spa services on site. One day spent there and I come out feeling like a new person.
Aug 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM

There's also the Clark Institute in Williamstown, a very nice small art museum.

and YK is right, it will probably be passing thundershowers, sow while long hikes might be out, you can probably visit someplace like Chesterwood which has both an indoor tour and an outdoor sculpture garden.
Aug 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Yes, the Clark! We enjoyed this place. There is a sandwich shop on the main street that is pretty good. Look for the one with all sorts of "names" for various sandwiches. BTW~We bought lovely travel umbrellas which read "The Clark" in the gift shop there.