Search

Bereavement

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 02:34 PM
Nataline

Bereavement

A very close friend of mine has passed away, this does not qualify for bereavement fare and I must travel within the next day or so, but the fares from NYC to Raleigh/Durham are out of this world. How does one travel quickly but inexpensively. I know many of the airlines are offering fares of less than $100 each way BUT with 14, 21, 30 notice, one never knows when death will occur. Anybody know how to handle this problem

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 05:29 PM
Diane

Have you called USAirways MetroJet? They may have something if you explain your situation. I don't know how fast you have to get there, but the train may also be an option.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 08:35 PM
anna

www.priceline.com

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 04:44 AM
dan

Have you tried Southwest Airlines? They are flying out of RDU now. Also, you might consider Amtrak.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 07:00 AM
stosh

You might try a consolidator as they do not have advance requirements. Try cheaptickets at 800-877-1261. If you do try priceline find out what the 21 day advance fare is and use that as your bid , realise though that you will have no choice as to what time you will fly either way if your bid is accepted. If you still have your Sunday travel section look for the ads from travel companies advertising last minute travel -theses will be consolidators. Try cheaptickets first though as they are one of the largest. Good luck.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 03:43 PM
Julie

You might also try www.bestfares.com. I've heard different stories as to whether you have to be a member to receive the deals---some say yes and some say no. At any rate, you can check out their website and call the airlines directly and request that they match any internet fare. Many of the deals posted are for travel within three to five days only. It can't hurt to try.