Reload this Page >

Bennington, Vermont Question.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:27 PM
alexander

Is anyone familiar with the story behind the old-dilapidated hotel/inn that sits on the corner as you turn from VT Rt 7/NY Route 9.

It's at that left turn just as you come off the road from Albany, a bit up from the candle factory.

I used to drive by on my way to Mt. Snow and always wondered why one room still has light and looked furnished.

Can anyone satisfy my curiousity? Thanks.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Shaggy

Geeze-louise Mr. Alexander but I've been talking with Fred, Daphne, and Selma and we think that there's a ghost up there. Scooby is so scared he won't even come out for his Scooby-snacks!

Somebody said that they saw old Mr. McGeevers wandering around in the abandoned oil field. Do you think that he's somehow involved?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:40 PM
alexamder

Funny. Some comedian on tv pointed out that Fred and Daphne always seemed to be together "running experiments in the Mystery Machine"

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:22 PM
alexander

ttt. Anybody know the answer?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:25 PM
bm

Alexander...
I'm working on it! Will call my mom tomorrow who lives in Bennington. The Inn is called the Walloomsac Inn. I do believe that it is rumoured to be haunted. It's a GREAT old building.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:37 AM
Donna

I've wondered about that myself--over Pres weekend I did indeed notice that there was a part that looked occupied, but the rest is so dilapidated. My sons knows when we get to the 'haunted house' we are almost to Verns Fish Fry, and just a bit away from Mt Snow.

PS Don't you hate that crawling traffic on Route 7 on the way home!!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:06 AM
bm

Can't get a hold of mom, so I tried www.google.com
put in Walloomsac Inn and you'll get a bunch of website's w/info.
BTW...it's Paul's Fish Fry!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:10 AM
bm

OOps.. It is Vern's Fish Fry! Isn't there a Paul's Fish Fry along Route 7 somewhere near Troy? I hear it's really good.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:52 AM
alex

ttt. Thanks for the answers so far. This is obviously quite the mystery. Glad to know others found this furnished room to be an odd site.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:49 PM
Donna

The other fish fry in Troy is Teds!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:54 PM
bm

Ahhh..Teds! Thanks! Have no idea where Paul's came from

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:38 AM
bm

Just heard from my mom who lives in Bennington re: the Inn. Here is what she had to say:
"At one time it had the significance of being the oldest operating inn in the U.S. It no longer is run as an inn, but the owners still live there. They have refused grants, etc., to restore it and have just let it get run down."
I'd suggest calling the Bennington Town Offices or the historical society (if there is one) for the complete story if interested!