Reload this Page >

Ben and Jerry's worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 04:14 AM
jm

We're travelling back to Toronto from Boston through Vermont with our 12 year old, who loves Ben and Jerry's ice cream. She'd like to visit the factory. Is it worth a short detour? Is there anything to see there?

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 04:39 AM
Marie

We did the Ben & Jerry's tour last summer. I'd say, sure, with your 12 year old who loves the ice cream, and you do get a couple of samples. From Ben & Jerry's we drove a fairly short distance to Stowe, and had lunch at the Trapp Family Lodge, which was nice (especially if your daughter knows the Sound of Music story of the VonTrapps). A nice break. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 04:42 AM
Liz

Yes, if it's on your way. You don't get to see a whole lot, but it is fun for a short stop and there are more flavors of their ice cream available at the scoop shop outside than I've ever seen in one place!

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 05:30 AM
Kaja

I have not been there but I would love to go. Ben and Jerrys is the best ice cream in the world! (My favourite is the Chunky Monkey)
I live in Norway and they don't sell Ben and Jerrys here. I think I could go all the way to Vermont just to visit the factory.
Kaja

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 08:05 PM
rob k

Just returned from my New England visit (family in Quincy, MA & Concord, NH) - also had a 3 day jaunt in Burlington, Vermont. My sister & I had put Ben & Jerry's high on our list of 'must do & see'. And it's a quite honestly, it's a bit anti-climactic - entire tour only takes about 20 minutes. BUT, they do give samples at the end. Provided 2 choices - and although the samples were tiny (a few bites in one of those mini hand held cups), you could eat as many of the samples as you wanted. So, I ate about six of 'em.

Factory is very easy to find. Take exit 10 off Route 89 - it'll be the exit for Rte 100 and you'll want to travel north on rte. 100 towards Stowe. Only have to go about 1 mile or so, and the factory will be on your left. Think you're still in Waterbury - afterwards, if you haven't overdosed on the ice cream, you can continue on rte 100 into Stowe. We had an excellent lunch at "Shed's"; for a small town, Stowe seems to have plenty of charming & great places to eat.
Weather was too overcast when we were there, but was told you can take a gondola ride and have a spectacular scenic view from up on high.

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 10:16 PM
parie

definitely make a stop at ben and jerry's. it's so much fun and a definitely worth a short detour. i wouldn't drive more than 30 min. out of the way to go, but they have a cute little tour and we have some cute pictures from our visit.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:43 AM
Eileen

Yes, stop at Ben and Jerry's. Te company has recently been sold; therefore, you may not have the opportunity to hear about the origins of the company for long. An even better tour is that at the Cabot's Dairy. It is a cooperative not too far from Stowe.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Liz

As a Vermonter, I've watched Ben & Jerrys' grow from a frozen yogurt stand in the basement of Bennington Potter's North to the gas station renovated to what it is today. It's great to see and hear the background to an environmentally and worker friendly company. If you do head towards Stowe, continue past the Ski areas into Smugglers Notch to the rocks and caves. One is like a refrigerator. The Shed in Stowe is a great restaurant - even the locals eat there. Have fun.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Rex

I'd not only never visit those two commie's ice cream plant, I'd never eat their shit ice cream.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Annie

Rex is still a little upset over the decision to allow black kids to attend school with white kids.

Anyway, ever since Ben & Jerry's sold out to "the man", the whole company has lost much of its color and appeal. And while the ice cream tastes the same, you can hardly get any of the flavors any more. I can't believe they sold it! I'm still upset about it.