Reload this Page >

belvedere-lion king-yankee tix

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 06:12 PM
jason

My wife and daughter are planning a trip to new york city june 24-28. We are considering the belvedere hotel on 48th street. Others we have been checking on in the theatre district are the Ramada In MIlford PLaza, the edison, and the Best Western Ambassador, all in the theatre didtrict. We are leaning to the belvedere. Can anyone tell us about the rooms, safety, etc. of the Belvedere as opposed to the other hotels mentioned above.
Also, we want to try for LIon King tix on June 25 or 26. What are our chances of getting tix in advance? How do we do so?
We would also like to see the Yankee-Cleveland day game on the June 25th. How do we get tix in advance? What are our chances of getting game tickets on the day of the game? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 02:38 AM
anne

Jason - sounds like you've got a nice trip planned & hope you enjoy it. I can't comment on the hotels. As to neighborhoods, I would not stay west of 9th avenue; 8th is even better. If you're right on Broadway, you'll have a lot of street noise to consider. I'll try the rest: Lion King has more availability. You should be able to order off the web or by calling Ticketmaster this far in advance. I was looking for tickets late last weekend for July & good tickets remained. As to the Yankee tickets, I would doubt you can get tickets on day of game at the ticket office - you'd need to get them from someone selling tickets outside the park. You might try SeaStreak Ferries (1-800-boat-ride) as they run service to selected Yankee and Mets games, including the tickets. If they are sold out or don't have tickets for the game you want to see, they would probably know where you could get them. Hope this helps. In any event, consider a Circle Line boat cruise around manhattan during your stay. It's a great experience, especially for families.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 03:20 AM
rqf

The Belvedere is just west of 8th Avenue. It is a staid older hotel that looks in great shape from the outside (I drive by frequently). I can't comment on the rooms but location is good. The Edison is on w. 47th, just off Broadway.. Excellent location. Have read any number of comments on this hotel and almost all were favorable. The only negative comment was "small rooms". The Milford Plaza is on W.45th and 8th Avenue. Again a good loction. Have read any number of comments on this hotel with most being negative.
Best Western must have taken over the
Ambassador in the recent past. Don't know much about it but bedore it became a BW is wouldn't have stayed there.
Yankee tickets - you can certainly buy tickets in advance. You can check for tickets at the Yankee website. I doubt the game will be sold out unless it is a give-a-way promotion game so tickets could probably be purchased at the Stadium. YOu are not likely to get the best seats even if you purchase in advance - best seats go to season ticket holders. More likely to get good seats if purchased in advance rather than on game day.
Lion King is a tough ticket to get. Call (800) 755-4000 for ticket information. Website is www.disneyonbroadway.com

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:20 AM
howard

Yankee tickets--chances are slim that this Monday game would be sold out. Since there's always the chance of rain, you might want to wait until you get here to get the tickets. However, as stated above, you'd obviously get better tickets if you bought them now.
Lion King--order tickets now!
Hotels--avoid the Milford Plaza!

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 04:51 PM
jason

Thanks for your help. I was also wondering about the Travel Inn on 42nd street. Also, we have never used a discount hotel service before. Are they reliable and is one any better than the other? Do you get as good a choice of rooms? With respect to the circle line cruises, I notice they offer a 1,2, and 3-hour cruise. The 2-hr and 3-hr go out of the 42nd street pier which is better located for us. Is the 3-hr tour that much better than the 2-hour? Is it better to go daytime or at sunset?
Thanks again for your help.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:18 PM
rqf

The Travel Inn is closer to the Hudson river than Times Square. In terms of location it is the least desirable of the hotels you mention. From what I have heard about the place it is at the same level as the Milford Plaza. I have done the Circle Line a number of times . Once you get past the 59th bridge on the way up the East River the ride can be a little boring since there is very little of interest. It does pick when you get to the HUdson River and head south under the George Washington Bridge. The one hour tour probably travels around the tip of Manhattan and features the bay and the the bridges you sail under. You can do the trip for free on the Staten Island ferry. TAke the ferry to STaten Island. Enjoy the ride past the Statue of Liberty and the view of the lower Manhattan skyline. Don't get off the ferry when it gets to Staten Island - take the same ferry back to the city.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 07:59 PM
JK

Hi, I was in NYC last July 2000, and stayed at the Belvedere on 48th st. for four nights. Since our group was 4 women
we shared one room with two double beds for $l35.and tax. We were extremely impressed with the room = nice, comfy,quiet for NYC,clean,safe, no problems. Staff was helpful,conciere was resourceful, doormen courteous and watchful. We were mostly $$ conscious,so the Hotel fit us perfectly. We were happy with the location and we walked most everywhere as well as used the subway. This was my third trip to the city, first girl trip and was very enjoyable, I definitely do recommend the BELVEDERE Hotel!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 08:20 PM
Erin

I second the JK's recommendation of the Belvedere. We (2 moms & 2 16 year old girls) were there last Aug., paid $135, and found it to be perfect. Nice staff, room with 2 beds plenty large, somewhat of a European ambiance, great location (off on a slightly quieter side street and within a couple short blocks of Times Square). Room had a microwave and mini-refrig and was nicely decorated. We would stay there again for sure. The girls LOVED Times Square. We felt totally safe. Have a great trip!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 08:26 PM
Erin

Also, should mention that we used www.quikbook.com to book the Belvedere since they had the best price. Had no problems whatsoever and you don't have to pay in advance--you pay the hotel when you get there. When I called on the phone the reservationist was very helpful in describing some hotels I was considering.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 09:43 PM
Jan

Jason: The Belvedere was great for my Mom and I when we visited mid-December 2000. It was very handy to theaters, the Circle Line Ferries, buses and subway lines. The morning buffet (similar to well-stocked continental breakfast buffet) at $10 was quite convenient for getting an early start. The concierge was very helpful and could arrange tickets to most everything. Just a quick walk to the half-price ticket booths in Time Square also. We really enjoyed it and will stay there again on next visit.

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:59 AM
M

for yankee's tickets, check their web site www.yankees.com. You probably can get ticket day of. In any case the seat won't be that great but i don't thint that's a major problem if you like ball games. I don't know about the freey. The subway is a piece of caske. Runs every few minutes. is full of Yankees fans (on game days) ans is safe. Take you right there. It would be much cheaper than the ferry. Can't help you with hotels. I live here. Times square is very noisy and lively. Where ever you stay try not to get the lower few floors. Lion King will be tough. There are ticket brokers if you're willing to pay the high price. If you're looking for kid-friendly try Tom Sawyer (my 10 yr old son loved it, more than lion king). Tickets are available at a nice discount at the TKTS booths. Lion King is spectcular but tough to get tickets.