Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Been There, Done That, Don't Bother (Part II)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Laura

The original of this is getting too long, and I personally found it funny and helpful, so thank you all. Here are the original guidelines for Round II:

"From time to time, many of us wind up visiting an attraction that is, well, not all it was cracked up to be. Sometimes we wish we could get our money back, but then again, perhaps the proprietor of this attraction needs it more than we do. Maybe we could do others a big favor by identifying United States attractions we have visited that are to be avoided.

To qualify, the post must discuss an attraction or resort. It has to be someplace you visited specifically for the experience, like a resort, museum, park, beach, etc. If the attraction was especially expensive, please note that fact. Let's not include bad hotels or bad restaurants, because people rarely pick a vacation spot for the hotel or restaurant, unless it is a resort.

Also, you must describe the reasons you were disappointed in detail. No points are awarded for posts like "The Grand Canyon sucked." Take the time to talk future victims out of it.

Next, the attraction must be lousy on its own merits. The fact that you got stuck in traffic on the way there or had a headache just means you had bad luck. However, you are permitted to weigh and discuss factors such as effort required to experience the attraction in judging whether it was worth it.

Lastly, we are not looking for "destinations", so it not helpful to say "I don't like LA." Think of something that a visitor could easily avoid and thereby save a travel day and improve a vacation they might otherwise take to the area."

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 02:43 PM
julie

For some reason, both times I have been in Lisbon, something unpleasant happened. but maybe it is just that I am not particularly a city person. The first time had the most disgusting meal of my life, which the waiter simply refused to take back..had dead fish heads floating in some fatty broth. The second time, we stayed at a hotel in a seedy neighborhood, and the sidewalks were narrow, the streets very busy. Never saw such a collection of dog dirt everywhere...simply couldn't walk without stepping in it. However,the country of Portugal is spectacular, and I have returned many times.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 02:46 PM
Karen

Definitely the Chinatown in Washington, D.C. What are we talking about here? Maybe ten restaurants? Really a pretty sad section of town. Doesn't compare at all to SF Chinatown. Pass.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 02:55 PM
Charlie

Karen, we here in DC sometimes call Chinatown by the more accurate name "Chinablock"!

Charlie

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Jim

Although I'm from NY and I know I'll get some poor feedback for this one, my vote is for South St. Seaport (Manhattan). Other than a clipper ship or two, to me there is nothing worthwile there. Unless it has changed in the past few yrs(I've since moved), i found all there was to offer were VERY trendy shops and eateries. Something to vastly improve the area would be perhaps a museum focusing on New York's maritime history, or maybe a brand new aquarium. I love world-class aquariums!!! ...and so do most people. Yes the one in Brooklyn is nice, but it's old! Besides, if we can have baseball teams, why not 2 aquariums?