bed&breakfast in New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know anything about City Lights bed&breakfst?
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:38 AM

Yes, it's an agency that has access to vacation rental apartments and they also have some "hosted" apartments where you stay with an owner their apartment. I know a few people who've stayed with an English woman in the Murray Hill area through this co. and said it was fantastic.

There are also a number of more typical b & bs scattered around the city....townhouses where the owners rent out a number of rooms. Wymanhouse.com is one that gets very good reviews on the upper westside.
1871house.com is another on the edge of midtown near BLoomingdales.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. I have been offered a nice (cheap I think) room with bath, etc. in Soho through this organisation and wanted to be sure they a serious company.

I want to say how much the info you all give is fantastic. I am coming the New York in October from France with a friend and have managed to get so many tips through reading all the messages and replies.

One question? We will go on a day trip (not with a group) to the Niagara falls and the flight from la Guardia is at 08.10 am. How long does it take to get to the airport from Soho and how long does one have to be at the airport before an internal flight - same as international 2 hours?

Another question - sorry. Is the Times Square church (gospel) good or would it be better (more authentic) to take a Harlem Gospel tour on Sunday?
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:34 AM

I've answered on the Niagara Falls issue on your other thread.

I don't know about a gospel church in Times square. One of the most authentic gospel churches is the Abyssinian Baptist church in Harlem. There's also the Brooklyn Tabernacle.

There's a gospel brunch at BB King's in Times Square and the music is supposed to be excellent. Food "ok."

Here are some previous posts on gospel music

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34650764

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34493734

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...=1&tid=1901491

To do a search here, put gospel in nyc in the text search box.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Not sure where you're from - but assume you are going to the Canadian side of the Falls - where most of the activities are.

Just be sure you have correct documentation to reenter the US (getting into Canada is easy).
For US citizens this is a government issued picture ID (like a driver lic) plus a certified (raised seal) copy of your birth certificate (xerox is not sufficient).
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie, thanks for the threads about gospel churches. I think we will go to Brooklyn as it sounds great and natural. Sunday is our last day and we fly back that evening.

nytravel, we are coming from France and are in the process of getting our new passports to comply with the visa waver programme, so we should be OK. Thanks for mentioning it though.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:30 AM

roofr

If you decide to take the room in Soho would you be kind enough to give us a brief report back as to how it worked out.

Also once you register with the company do you get to see any pictures or is just a description.

Best wishes to enjoy wonderful NYC.

Sandy
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Sandy. We were sent photos and complete description of the room (and small garden we can use) before booking. In fact we were sent quite a few choices of different B&Bs before we chose this one in Soho as the area looks interesting and I think (hope) we will be able to visit a lot on foot. I will post a report on the trip once we come back. All these answers to questions have been so helpful.