Search

Bear spray?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bear spray?

The NPS website states that it is up to you whether you want to bring it. Is it any useful in a real encounter?
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 10:51 AM

I think being able to run and climb would be better. (Of course, I guess bears can climb too, but I bet I can climb higher!)

If you're close enough to use "bear spray" then you're probably done for.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 11:20 AM
GP

Hi Cheerful
I have interacted with bears in the wild several times. Never used spray. I think it would just make them mad. What you want to do is take steps to avoid contact with the bears.

Have fun
GP
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 11:27 AM

The bears probably treat the spray as if it were a McCormicks seasoning for humans.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 11:33 AM

First of all, bears (especially grizzlies) are MUCH faster than humans. Running from a bear is probably the WORST thing you can do.

Second, Bear Spray is only useful if you know how to use it and have it at hand (not in the bottom of your backpack).

Finally, you probably should get advice from somewhere other than a random sampling of anonymous stangers (such as myself). Take a look at:
www.bebearaware.org/peppernfnf.htm

Note that, as stated on the above website, bear spray is a "last line of defense". Hiking in groups, making noise, and being aware of your surroundings are all much more effctive ways of avoiding bear encounters.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 11:45 AM

I can tell you that you definetly can NOT outrun a bear. Black bears climb trees; grizzly bear does not climb.
I hike Glacier park frequently(live close by) and never hike without spray though I have yet to use it thank God.It has been proven to deter bears while you make your getaway walking backwards slowly while facing the bear but not looking into his eyes.Sounds silly I know.
Best deterent is to hike in groups and make noise such as singing, loud talk etc. so as not to surprise a bear.
Happy trails and hike with spray
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Camping in the sierras you will have encounters with brown bears. Had very close encounter with them while camping. BIL clapped his thongs (shoes) together loudly to send them on their way.

My advise: Don't carry food and don't be around food when in an area with bears. Use bear lockers 100% of the time.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 11:52 AM

We bought bear spray the last time we were in the Canadian National Parks. The bear spray is a larger canister than the ones used for people. My DH wore it in a handy holster every time we went for a hike in the parks where there can be bears.

The National Park newspapers in Canada recommeded carrying it.

Utahtea
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Kal

Would someone pleeeez tell that joke about what they found inside a bear after they did an autopsy?

I know enuff of it to screw it up.
Suprise, huh?
Kal
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:11 PM

If it gives you peace of mind, then go ahead and carry it.

Please, though, make sure you learn how to use the darn thing before you set off in the woods.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Oh, and make sure you can outrun at least one other person in your group.

(that's sort of a variation on a reaalllly old joke.)
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Kal

JackO...hahahaha...now THAT one I remember!

My Dad always said he could outrun any bear 'cuz the bear would be too busy slippin' in his poop to catch him!

I know...the apple doesn't fall far....
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:28 PM
OliveOyl

Montana grizzly bear notice:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop is larger and has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Forget the bells! Just play that last American Idol song real loud, you won't find a bear in 3 miles radius!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:43 PM
GoTravel

Do you have to take a class in bear poop in order to know the difference?

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:46 PM

GoTravel, no, just look at the poop-ups which appear on the websites selling this spray
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Kal

OO!
We gotta winner!
Thx!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 01:36 PM
OliveOyl

Kal, I cannot tell a lie. I too remembered just enough of it to mess it up royally. Google remembered the rest! Bless google...best thing since sliced bread! I like your Dad's take on the situation. LOL

OK, now for real....have any of you ever envisioned yourselves in a situation where you ARE being attacked and you do the recommended of dropping and playing dead as it mauls you? Who amongst us thinks they would be capable of that? I'm not so sure I could even remember it under the circumstances, let alone follow through!

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 01:43 PM

lol Suzie.....glad you clarified that you meant SHOES.

(Oh my terrible mind, I can just see it now. LOLOL)
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 02:01 PM

Speaking of bears, I remember this story from a few years ago...

In Keithville, La., as many as 50 people, including sheriff's deputies, game wardens and wildlife officials, spend most of the night trying to rescue what appears to be a black bear caught high in a pine tree. Finally, after nearly eight hours, during which a
veterinarian fired a number of tranquilizer darts, the rescuers chop the tree down and discover that they have saved a heavily sedated black garbage bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -