beaches in VA, MD,DE

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:17 AM
kristen

beaches in VA, MD,DE

We are taking our 4 boys (3,5,7,9) to Williamsburg, VA this summer. We are camping with a pop-up. We'd like to see DC after Williamsburg, but have a number of days to see other things. We'd like to experience the ocean (beach) for at least a day, but are wondering if we should travel up the coast of VA,MD and DE to see the wild horses at Assateague, and then camp at Lewes and go to Henlopen S.P. (wondering about State Parks in DE the 1st week of July -- no reservations accepted. Are they too busy?)
THEN on to DC?

Or would it be better to spend a couple days at First Landing State Park just south of Williamsburg and then head up to DC?

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 09:20 AM
Diane

Try to get camping reservations in Chincoteague (www.chincoteague.com, I think). The town is delightful, the National Seashore is beautiful, the wild life refuge has more than just the ponies, and you can come back to DC through Maryland's eastern shore and Annapolis.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 09:26 AM
Alicia

Hi,
I just wanted to tell you that Va Beach is a great place to visit,and It's about 30 minutes from Williamsburg,but i am sure Chincoteague would be a great place to visit.Just thought I could give you some options.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 06:55 PM
liz

Hi Kristen!

Me again! How nice that your plans jibe so with places i've lived in or visited frequently! I grew up just outside Hershey (re/my earlier reply on HersheyPark), I now live in DC if you have questions on there, my parents now live in Ocean City, MD, just beside Assateague and very near Chincoteague and Henlopen, and my family has a time share in VA Beach an hour from Williamsburg! I'd never claim to be an expert on all of these but if there are areas that i know a lot about...! But i must say that from what i've read, you've been given good advice already.

For this specific question, after Williamsburg I would recommend taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel to the eastern shore of MD/VA/DE. The bridge/tunnel itself is something i think your boys would enjoy. 17 miles of bridge and tunnel (mostly bridge) with a great look-out/restaurant/fishing pier out in the middle of Chesapeake Bay! Then go to Ocean City, MD. For camping, Frontiertown just outside Ocean City and a few miles from Assateague is very good. You're close to the wild horses and beautiful beaches of assateague (closer than chincoteague) and also to the boardwalk, rides and amusement arcades of OC. Nothing against VA Beach or Henlopen but i think OC has the most to offer both children and adults. Though Henlopen, like assateague, is in beautiful natural surroundings.

Again, please e-mail me if you'd like to know more.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:01 PM
liz

Oops! It wasn't until after my previous message posted and i re-read the replies that i remembered this. Diane is absolutely right about Annapolis. It is a beautiful town with much history, as well as good shops, restaurants and sights for the whole family. Plus it's only about an hour from DC (depending on traffic!) and is on the way from the eastern shore.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:42 PM
Cindy

I grew up on Delaware beaches. Cape Henlopen is highly desirable in all respects for camping. The dunes are huge and the birdlife is wonderful--kudos to Delaware for preserving this wonderful land. I don't know how you get a camping spot there. The little town of Lewes next to it is charming. Dewey and Bethany are known as the "family beaches".all the best from Virginia

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Pat

I would also recommend Chincoteague. We tent camped there years ago and really enjoyed it. The beach was great. Undeveloped with a good surf and warm water. And we enjoyed the wildlife refuge seeing the ponies and the sika deer. Virginia Beach is nice but much more commercial.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Jo

Just remember to bring the insect repellant or Avon's Skin-so-soft (no, I'm not an Avon lady) - Chincoteague is well known for its mosquitos!!

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I've camped at Chincoteague a few years ago - Maddox Family Campground. There is a swimming pool, general store, etc. on the grounds. The area is really nice - seeing the ponies, hanging out at the beach, we saw some dolphins out in the ocean too. I can't remember what the occasion was, but there was a carnival going on during our visit, which was fun too. Have fun, Greg
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Author: kristen
Date: 04/03/2000, 11:17 am

This thread is from the year 2000
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Oops, I forgot to check the date. My mistake, lol.