Reload this Page >

beaches (Caribbean like)

Search

beaches (Caribbean like)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 09:05 AM
roger

beaches (Caribbean like)

We just returned from Aruba and are planning a short Holiday for late October. We love the beaches in the Caribbean, calm surf, soft sand, CLEAR WATER ... are there similar beaches in Florida or elsewhere in the 48?

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:56 AM
Noach

The S.West coast of FL might be the closest.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:04 AM
JJ

Simple answer is: No. Florida's western beaches come the closest. Californians can say what they like, but their beaches don't compare with FL, and definitely not with the Caribbean's best.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 01:15 PM
jen

Closest you can come is Key West- water is similar- calm, warm because of coral reef surrounding island. Don't expect white sandy beaches though- they are short and a bit rocky in spots. I thought it was fine, and the nightlife is great, too.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 02:08 PM
SharonM

Actually, I don't know which beach would match Aruba's beaches, but our beaches here in Pensacola, Florida are MUCH nicer! Sugar-white sand (and lots of it!) beautiful, clear water, unless bad weather has brought in the seaweed.
Not too many palm trees as you find in the caribbean, but otherwise pristine!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 02:52 PM
Val

I watched a show on the Discovery Channel not too long ago where they rated the ten best beaches. #2 was Panama City Beach, Florida (not too far from Pensacola). It was rated on the beauty of the beach and the water, accommodations, activities, etc. It looked gorgeous.

Another place you might want to check out is Boca Grande Island in Florida (about an hour north of Ft. Myers). We have relatives there, and when we stopped to see them just a few weeks ago it was gorgeous. Not much to do on the island, but the beaches and the water are just beautiful.

(By the way, the number 1 beach was Kapalua Bay, or something like that, Hawaii.)

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 04:02 PM
Chuck

Whoever voted Key West is out of their mind! Key West beaches have been closed on and off because of contamination. Seems the sewer system in Key West can not handle everything and it dumps in the water. Just my idea of clean and pristine!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 09:11 PM
Keely

It's true that Key West beaches are virtually non-existent if not man-made, and the water at the resorts in Key West is nothing like the Caribbean. It's usually gray, not blue. However, if you take a boat trip and go out a few miles, like into the Content Keys and other places, it is almost like the Caribbean or the Bahama Out Islands. Only problem is that you can't stay on them, only visit them. I have seen similar questions posted earlier and a few people suggested the Florida panhandle.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 05:59 AM
joe cameron

While Key West is a great location, the beaches are non-existent. You just cannot beat the West Coast - such as the St. Pete/Treasure Island area. Up toward Clearwater, the beaches narrow greatly. But the SP/TI area has wonderful white beaches - and the TI section was rebult this year.