Beach house rental in Newport Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide between 2 houses to rent this August for 5 adult family members. One is located at 35th about 1 house from the sand. The other is facing the water at the grassy area at Balboa pier; there is a large park area and then the sand. Which area is busier, noisier at night, etc. We are looking for a relaxing vacation where we are to be able to walk to restaurants, coffee shops etc. Thanks for all help.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM

I stayed I think on 37th street a few times in a rental house and live in Southern Orange County.

Newport Pier is pretty rowdy - in our experience the further north you went towards Balboa Pier the more quiet it is. You can still walk easily to restaurants, coffee shops etc. There is a fun lobster place - http://www.rockinbaja.com/ at Newport Pier.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Wanted to add - we also enjoy here:

http://www.cannerynewport.com/
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MomDD; we've settled on a place in between the piers and 1 house back from the beach. It has a roof top patio so should be nice and quiet up there. And everything seems to be within a 15-20 minute walk. The lobster place looks like fun and an easy walk.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Jackie that will be nice- Newport Beach is fun in the summer. If you can - get bikes - beach cruisers to go up and down the boardwalk. You can rent them at a bike place over by the Albertson's shopping center for the week.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Report back Jackie!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Also go to The Crab Cooker for grilled lobster, shrimp, scallops, and amazing chowder. It is a funky family place.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM

She has been and back Peaceout but interested in her time!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Hey MomDD - we had a terrific time. We took our son, his girlfriend and our daughter, all adults. It was really nice to see SoCal through their eyes - son and gf had never been. It brought back to me how incredibly friendly people are in that area. The house was amazing, vrbo #83866 - just like the photos and a really well-equipped kitchen. We didn't use the rooftop terrace as much as we thought we would because it was darn chilly the week we were there.
We took advantage of the cool weather and hit Disney and WB early in the week. We did get a couple of good beach days and we walked a ton! Walked to Newport Pier for dinner at Il Farro (great service, great food) and Sol Grill (pretty good). We walked to Balboa Pier and had coffee at Cafe Miaffe and took the ferry twice for frozen bananas and Cinnamon buns. I don't know why we can't get frozen bananas in the Toronto area - it's such a simple concept and so delicious.
We also ate at El Ranchito (really good), Mama D's (the best Chicken Limone)and I had my first In and Out burger (now I get it). Keane's coffee was excellent.
On our last full day, we drove down to Laguna Beach and had the breakfast buffet at Las Brisas. The meal was ok and good value and the location is gorgeous. We strolled along the boardwalk and bought some salt water taffy (has it improved or have my tastes changed?)
Before we went to the airport we stopped off in Venice Beach. I didn't like it at all, but Peace Out has pointed out that I was on the wrong side of the pier. I'll keep that in mind.
We didn't end up eating at any seafood restaurants because my daughter doesn't eat any fish and can't stand the smell. We would have gone without her, but we just ran out of time. I'll have to save that for another visit. I did eat plenty of shrimp and fish tacos; yum!
About the bikes; the house included six so some of us used them. We also had boogie boards - it was a real blast watching my kids try to manage them.
Thanks for your help - I always read your comments cos I know you know what you're talking about. Have a great summer!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM

Jackie - so great! I love that townhouse and you are so lucky that it came with the bikes. Not all the rentals do - were you happy with the owners/check in etc? I would consider renting that one. Our youngest REALLY wants to do another week in Newport Beach. Mom is flying in from Oklahoma and rented a lovely home in Laguna Beach for a week at the end of August - and everyone LOVES Laguna but with my kids and a beach week - I prefer Newport.

Las Brisas does not have the best food but the view sure does help make up for it .

We love El Ranchito as well & glad you enjoyed In and Out. It is a tradition.

Disney is actually a favorite of mine - not too popular on this board and I am not as crazy fan as some of those on the Disney boards so I just stay here .

Thank you for reporting back and do let me know about the rental.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

We were really pleased with our landlords - we were able to check in a little early and they replaced the rooftop fridge, not working, within the hour. They provided a binder with information about local restaurants, grocery, etc and even a preferred customer card for Albertsons. We felt that if we needed something, they were just a phone call away.
We started at California Adventure when we went to Disney and I found it to be a lot like any other theme park. After a couple of hours we moved over to the Magic Kingdom and that was more like it. We loved the re-done Pirates of the Caribbean and all the old favourites like Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise. We managed to hang on for the fireworks and they were fabulous. Even my husband, who wasn't so enthusiastic, had a fantastic time.
My husband and I thought that next time we might try Laguna so if you have any rental recommendations let me know. Have a wonderful holiday with your family.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Wow it looks great, especially the fireplaces on the patio - I'll be looking for your report.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Hi MomDD!
I pratically grew up in Lido and Balboa Island and just love it up there but it has changed so much from the old money to the faux new money..yuck!
As far as between the two rental homes, I would opt for the one on 35th.
Love El Ranchito and have had many many many good Mex there through the years.
You are always such a great soul and only wishing you the best to you and your wonderful family!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM

Hi Ksucat... I always dream of a little cottage on Balboa Island to retire in

Jackie it the one that was renting this house - we have rented this unit (very beachy) http://www.vrbo.com/32777 twice - once just the downstairs and once the entire building (up and down) which was great with having my son, wife, granddaughter and my parents there! It was really a little..umm..low rent :-? though? The place RIGHT across the street had about 100 people in it... the poor lovely owners of the place we rented were mortified. They have owned and lived in NPB forever and the partying was just too much for us last time. I could tell the owner felt bad. We just did not get lucky - our kids had fun though

This August we are going to Laguna Beach - My Mom rented the place up thread which looks very lovely. I will report back.

And your compliment is so appreciated - right back at you.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Hi MomDDTravel,
Just a little friendly neighborly advice and I'll be vague- read between the lines...TMI.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 07:48 AM

SocCal - I think it has been taken care of? Please let me know...if I read correctly.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Thank you- yes!
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:02 AM

No, thank YOU!