Reload this Page >

Beach home near Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Diane

A group of 8 females, friends since gradeschool planning a long weekend in Charleston in March or April 2002, Would like to rent a 4 bedroom beach home. Where is a good place to look ? Close to Charleston. Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:01 PM
natali

How about Kiawah Island?

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Arabella

Kiawah is over an hour away, how about a house on Isle of Palms or in Wild Dunes Resort?

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 07:10 AM
x

Here's another vote for Wild Dunes, 20 minutes from downtown Charleston.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Ang

Definitely Seabrook island! You will be on the beach and about 20 min. from historical district in charleston. I have always wanted to do this combo vacation and have looked into it, but never booked. Let me know how it works out. We are thinking of doing this with extended family next summer.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Stella

Diane, try this site http://www.kiawahexclusives.com/
You'll find listings for condos and houses for Kiawah Island and Seabrook, which are side by side by the way. It's not really an hour away from Charleston, more like 30 minutes, unless you get stuck in drawbridge traffic. Kiawah is great for beach going and bicycling and golf, and they're very eco friendly. The beach is private. Charleston hosts home and garden tours in March and April so it may be crowded, but it's a great place to visit and the tours are nice. The flowers are already blooming which is a wonderful early spring fling! Enjoy

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:19 AM
natali

Beg to differ. I can drive from the Market in Charleston to Kiawah in 35-40 minutes.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:34 AM
OliveOyl

Natali's closer to being right on that drive time, unless you attempt it at rush hour.

We had an absolutely gorgeous 2 story, 4 bedroom house with fireplace plus decks which looked over the dunes to the Atlantic in Kiawah one Thanksgiving. It was really a spectacular home, with beautiful furnishings. I believe those rentals go through Kiawah Club, but if not, they could point you in the right direction. DH knew someone with some strings to pull so it was at no cost, but I imagine they are fairly expensive.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Donna

There is a beautiful place located in "The Battery" (its not on the beach) but its located right on the water in Charleston. Its called The Palmer House. Call 888-723-1574. It was featured on the Travel Channels Great Vacation Homes.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 11:08 AM
Danna

I always stay on Folly Beach when visiting Charleston. It is an old-fashioned beach town, very east-coast, not as crowded or expensive as Isle of Palms and an easier drive to Charleston for dinner. It's also where the surfers go, lots of eye candy for the girls.

Call Fred Holland Realty, sorry can't find the #. I rented a 3 bedroom ocean front house for 3 nights for $1050 in late Aug 2000. If you have bigger bucks to spend and like the "volleyball beach" at Isle of Palms, try Island Realty.

sometimes you have to beg to get less than a week's rental on a house, if you are willing to wait until a few days before to reserve, they will usually let you. Also, be sure to find out when the Cooper River 10k run is, Charleston and surrounding will be PACKED that weekend.

May I suggest Garibaldi's, McCrady's, and Hyman's Seafood in Charleston?

Have fun.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 12:24 PM
Arabella

FYI, the Family Circle Cup women's pro tennis tournament will be held in nearby Daniel Island April 13 -21.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Denise

A house on Kiawah is my vote - been visiting there for 25 years - but you might not be able to rent a home for 4 days. I think most of the home rentals are for 7. It wouldn't hurt to ask, however. Try www.kiawah.com (Great Beach Rentals), www.beachwalker.com or www.kiawahexclusives.com (Pam Harrington Exclusives) for rental information. I've used both Great Beach and Beachwalker with no problems. Great Beach has a rating system for their properties - nice way to compare houses.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Penney

We rent at Seabrooke every summer and it is really beautiful. Very peaceful, long empty beaches, laid back and prestine. It is a private island and there are many houses and condo's to rent.

Kiawah Island has more going on (but you can get on either island if staying at the other as they are right next to each other) but caters more to families so more kids.

Both are located in a really pretty area with some great restaurants but no shopping and very quiet.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 04:21 AM
Gretchen

Do NOT go to Hyman's. There is MUCH better seafood to be had in Charleston.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 03:30 AM
rob

without a doubt-kiawah- wide beautiful beaches-quiet very eco friendly.call kiawah resorts 1-800-654-2924 houses are also avaiible.35-40 min drive to charleston.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Danna

Gretchen - could you elaborate on better seafood in Charleston? Seems hard to find high quality seafood (no Shem-Creek stuff) but without the tired low-country cliches of pecan-crusted this & that w/ grits. Let me in on the local secrets!