Reload this Page >

beach blanket babylon

Search

beach blanket babylon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 04:03 PM
bonnie

beach blanket babylon

has anyone seen this show? would appreciate any feedback. it's been running for over 20 years, so it must be good, but so has Cats & I didn't like that.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:02 PM
John

Dear Bonnie:
I have seen it several times (in different incarnations, since the plot keeps changing with the times). I found it was truly, marvelously funny!
Best of all, you're not squeezed into theater seats, but get to sit at cabaret tables and sip wine or bubbly as you watch.
I have always found Beach Blanket Babylon a VERY San Francisco experience!

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:53 PM
Patrick

I have seen it maybe 6 times -- I truly love it. But that last comment has me confused. No you're not "squeezed into theatre seats" which are normally relatively comfortable. Instead you are jammed into spaces where you are unable to breathe. You buy your tickets in advance, but must stand in lines outside the theatre for an hour waiting to get the "best" table- usually about 12 people in a space designed for 3 or 4. Hard to see the action as the stage is only slightly raised and all the seats are on one level, except for a balcony where I've never been. But despite the claustrophic atmosphere, and the inconvenience of the cattle call seating, it is worth every minute --simply a big hoot of an evening, and hope that Val Diamond is doing it the night you are there.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Allen

I just got tickets for our trip in June via the web. Ordered reserved seats in the balcony. Hope this avoids the "cattle call!"

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 03:26 PM
sammie

We saw the Sunday matinee show with our kids, it is the only time kids are allowed in. It was hysterically funny, not to be missed. You cannot go wrong with this show.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 07:56 PM
K

Yes, I've seen it a dozen times (about once a year) and it's always great fun. It's campy and pokes fun at lots of recent (and regular) celebrities in the news.

Most of the seating in the theatre is first come, first serve (except for the Cyril Magnin Box - those were assigned). Seating in the upper balcony and the Cyril Magnin Box is actually quite comfortable, because you're in movie-theatre-style seats. The seats on the main floor are similar to comedy club style seating, several chairs around a small table. Up on the second floor, along the sides, people sit next to each other in regular chairs w/ a long bar for their drinks.

Al - if you're up on the balcony, you still might want to get there a little early so your party can sit together. I was there last November and my friend and I were the last two people who could be seated together. We got there around 6:35 for the 7:00 show. Everyone else who came later had to sit separately.