Hotel suggestions in NYC

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 05:50 AM
Tracy

Hotel suggestions in NYC

I plan on visiting NYC for the first time in mid-October and have been going near cross-eyed looking at websites for hotels! I prefer small, independently owned hotels but that doesn't rule out larger chains - IF the price is right. With our exchange rate price is a major issue. Also, I'm used to living in an "exciting" city so I don't scare easily but I would prefer an area that is okay after dark as I will definitely want to go to the theatre(s). I don't plan on spending a great deal of time in my hotel room, so as far as facilities go I'm mostly concerned that it has a private bath, is very clean and is close to public transport. Any suggestions and past good experiences would be appreciated - I can't even decide on a neigbourhood!

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Harriett

I am also making my first trip to NYC --in just two weeks -- and we're staying at the Hotel Beacon, which I found through the Fodors NYC listings. It's very reasonable ($160/nt) for what's described as "very good value," furnished kitchen, in a residential rather than touristy neighborhood, at 75th and Broadway near Central Park, lots of restaurants, etc. It has received good ratings here; you might do a search for comments. Not sure how many rooms it has, but doesn't seem to be a franchise affiliate. Their website is www.beaconhotel.com -- and it's much upgraded since I first looked at it last fall. Hope this helps!

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 07:22 AM
Ramona

Hi Tracy! I go to NY a lot. I LOVE TO STAY at the Millenium Broadway hotel (NOT the Premiere), which is right smack dab in TIMES Square which is VERY VERY SAFE. I go there with my kids, usually take 2 at a time (I Have 4), and their ages range from 9 to 14. We go out at night no problem. The location is excellant. It is exciting and wonderful to just walk out that front door at night and to see times square lit up... theatres are all there... the BEST restaurant is right down the street at the Marriott Marquis too. It's called THE VIEW. Go if you can. It is UNBELIEVABLE! Now, I have a little money, but my family (meaning my sisters and brother and parents,) so they all stay at THE COSMOPOLITAN which my brother's New York City Girlfriend recommended to us all. My sister just stayed there last weekend, and she said it was very very clean, small and PERFECT because the subway was right close by, and that was great because it is a little far from the action, but the subway gets you where ever you want to go fast. It is very inexpensive, and yet they do it right. She doens't like to tell a lot of people because it is a well kept secret. I will see if I still have my sisters letter where she described it to me, and I can forward it to you. Let me know how you're making out okay? Ramona

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 08:22 AM
dawn

I've also stayed at the Millenium Broadway and loved it! I got a VERY good deal through quickbook.com last Feb. but now the price is higher - I'm not sure what Oct. would be. I just returned from NYC yesterday and I stayed at The Regal UN Hotel which is a chain BUT I had a spacious room with a view of the Empire State Bldg, a walk-in closet, and large bathroom for $159 (this was their Easter rate, but I know that quickbook.com also offers a discounted rate for this hotel). The Regal was just a few blocks down from Grand Central Station in the very nice Turtle Bay vicinity of the city.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Jennifer

I too go to New York a lot and I have always stayed at Edison Hotel. It is located on 47th between Boradway and 8th, right in the heart of Times Square and the theatre district. It is a large hotel and is usually booked a few months in advance. The price is very reasonable. Good luck.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 04:20 PM
Ellen&Elaine&Christine

Two friends and I stayed at the Hotel Beacon in the fall of 1998. We found this hotel using Fodors Online, but we were nervous as we had not heard of it, and we were VERY pleasantly surprised. We had a great stay, the rooms are fabulous, the hotel staff are great, and the neighborhood is WONDERFUL. We loved it so much we are going back next month! We highly recommend it!

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 03:30 PM
Paule

I live in NYC but I really can't speak about the hotels; I can, however, speak about neighborhoods. I thought the suggestion to stay at the Hotel Beacon, Broadway & 75th street, was a wonderful idea. While the Times Square hotels are, I'm sure, very comfortable, they are right in the middle of the theater district; certainly very safe, but also, very, very busy all the time. B'way and 75th Street has lots of life, but it's also in a more residential area, and, I think a much more interesting area to stay in. You are a few blocks away from Central Park, many restaurants, and lots of fun shopping. In short, you'll feel more of a "taste" of living in NYC. Staying in the Times Square/Theater district area means you will be smack in the tourist center.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 10:40 PM
sherry

i had a wonderful first trip to nyc in march. we had excellent accomodations at the rihga royal. it's on 54th street between 6th and 7th ave. we got a great rate of $259 through express-res.com.
it's a fairly small all suite hotel and well worth the cost.