Beach Blanket Babylon

Search

Beach Blanket Babylon

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach Blanket Babylon

Oops, I originally posted this in U.S. instead of CA! We are visiting SF in June and planning to see BBB. Do we need to purchase tickets now? Also, which are the better seats? We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express on North Point (wharf area) so how far is the theater from this hotel? Walking distance?
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:44 AM

Purchase tickets as early as possible!!!! It is walking distance (about 10(?) blocks) from your hotel--you just walk right up Columbus Ave which has great shops and restaurants to look in. It is a great show!!
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:16 PM

They have a web site with a diagram of the seating chart and also the telephone number. Purchase your tickets early and try and get one of the few reserved seats that they have. If not , there are reserved sections of the theater is quite small. It is a "must see" show. If you are going in June, call now.
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Of course the closer the better, but anywhere on the main floor you will be packed in tight. Best seats are front row of the balcony, even on the sides.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:11 PM

I would reconsider your plans to see Beach Blanket Babylon. We felt that it was a waste of time. I really don't understand why anyone would want to see this show.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:28 AM

We have gone a couple times and thought it was hilarious. Many of the references are "insider jokes" regarding the bay area and it's politics. If you read the papers or just relax and enjoy the moment, you will love the show. the hats/hairpieces are incredible! Try not to sit at an angle by one of the support pillars. That was distracting to me.I would take a cab.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Bootman4U

I have seen BBB fourn times and loved it every time...of course, if you cannot stand a bit of periodic political satire then you might not like all of it..but it is great fun. You can reserve, and I think should reserve seats in advance..otherwise you get to wait in line to get in for the floor seats...but regardless I think you'll love it for its outrageousness if nothing else.

Old May 7th, 2003, 09:20 AM

Beach Blanket Babylon is a collossal waste of time. You'd be better off doing a dinner/theater type of thing ie: Teatro Tetrazini. Almost everyone I have taken to see Beach Blanket Babylon who insisted on going were disappointed.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:50 AM

We've been several times and laughed so hard our sides ached for days. If you like fantastic crazy headresses/hats, and off the wall humor, you'll love it.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:55 PM

I am not sure where the Holidy Inn Express is, but I think it is near the regular Holiday Inn which is definitely within walking distance. BBB is atthe Club Fugazi which is located on BBB Boulevard (Green St.) less than a block from Columbus Ave. I agree to try and get the reserved seats, that way you don't have to get there as early and fight for seat location. I just went last week and really enjoyed the show. Whether you like it or not is a matter of taste, but it has been showing around 30 years and still sells out every night which says something for it. After the show, we ate at the North Beach Restaurant (Italian, like most restaurants in the area) which is located right off of Columbus and thought the food was very good. Enjoy yourself!
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:11 PM

I've never been to Beach Blanket Babylon with "non-theatre goers", but every time I've gone with theatre people -- four or five times at least -- all have laughed their asses off. We all love it for what it is -- an hysterically funny spoof.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:22 AM

Just adding my two cents. We didn't overly enjoy the show. I think part of it was the build-up. An older relative who lives in CA knew we would be vacationing there and kept saying how we HAD to go, it was hilarious, don't miss it, did you book your tickets yet?! So it was a let-down after all that. It was somewhat amusing and sure there were big hats, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm always hesitant to build anything up or call something a must-see. Everyone's tastes are different. I try to say I liked something and why, but not hype something too much. But enjoy SF!
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Actually most of the people I've gone to BBB with ARE SF locals. But they happen to be in theatre so maybe that's why they enjoy it.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:21 PM

We first saw this show in 1976. Loved it then and also loved it the next 2 times we have seen it, in the 80's and again in the 90's.
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:02 PM

Well, I live in SF and have seen Beach Blanket Babylon. I do see alot of theater and still think BBB is not worth it. The ONLY reason I went to see it was to appease visitors who were in town, despite my recommendation not to see it. After the show they agreed it was a waste of time.
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:21 AM

I have seen BBB twice and LOVED it. It is very satirical and you have to be up on current events to appreciate it. That being said, it is somewhat dry humor and also risque. My final opionion, if you read the newspaper on a regular basis you will love it. The show is changed regularly so it is very current.
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:34 PM

How much of the satire/humor is specifically San Francisco,versus national & international? Will a well informed out of towner enjoy this almost as much as a local resident?
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:47 PM

The only thing I remember specific to SF was the guy with that hat supposedly Willie Brown. No, it really isn't much local humor. Monica Lewinsky's blue dress had a white stain the size of California -- it brought the house down!
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:53 PM

I'm a Memphis native who has seen BBB 5 times over the years. My wife and I will be seeing it again later this month. I purchased tickets on the website Friday night (9 May 03). Go to "www.beachblanketbabylon.com" and you can easily negotiate the process of purchasing tickets--which can be picked up at the "will call" window beginning 1 hour before the start of your show.

I cannot comprehend how anyone doesn't enjoy the show. If you like to have fun and you appreciate smart comedy, you'll love the show.

By the way, Chronicle Books (the publishing arm of the SF Chronicle) has published an excellent book about this long-running show.

Club Fugazi is easy to walk to from almost any point in North Beach. However, if you have dinner before the show, a cab can easily drop you off at the theater on Green Street. Parking on most nights around the theater is very, very difficult.

From what the website is showing about the current production, it is most certainly up-to-date and right on the mark with its comedy.
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:18 PM

Well, I like to have fun and I appreciate smart comedy however, was unimpressed with Beach Blanket Babylon. I don't see what all the hype is about.