Search

Bass Lake CA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bass Lake CA

We're renting a house for a week at Bass Lake. This is a family trip and includes 6 adults, a baby and 2 dogs. Needless to say, we're not looking for fine dining options since we'll be cooking almost all our meals at the house due to the wee one.
I've not been able to find too much info on the area but I gather that the closest large grocery store will be the Vons in Oakhurst. Does anyone know of any good bakeries or other food purveyors in the area? We're planning on renting a boat for some of the days and have found a place that does that but welcome any suggestions.
Some of us are planning on taking at least one day trip to Yosemite--any suggestions on the best route and timing?
Any other low key suggestions for activities in the area?
We're arriving on Saturday 9/3 and will plan most of our activities for the part of the week after Labor Day.
Thanks!
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 04:47 PM

For Bass Lake there are not a ton of restaurants but the two places we went to when we rented a house are Duceys on the Lake and The Forks. Our friends had a boat which we used the entire week so we took the boat over to the Forks and tied it up there while we ate. The Forks is known for its great burgers. Duceys is at the Pine Resort and is fancier.

There is a small village by the Pine Resort and Bass Lake which has a grocery store and bakery. However I think you are better off for your main grocery shopping doing it in Oakhurst. We also took in a movie at Oakhurst since there are more businesses located there. If you are driving to Bass Lake then your best bet might be to stop off at the Costco and Traders Joe's in Fresno. We did that for most of our food and got a better less expensive selection. Fresno is within an hour so we just threw some of the food in a cooler for the short drive.

You can go straight from Bass Lake to Yosemite. I highly recommend you go to the Giant Redwood Grove which is at entrance nearesst to Bass Lake. You can also go to Wawona which is closest to Bass Lake and visit the historic western exhibit there. There is also a great swimming hole by the "school" at Wawona. You can also get a nice meal at the Wawona Hotel.

A visit to the valley would be worth it but it would be a longer drive. I think the crowds will be less since you are going after Labor Day but I still would head out early. The whole are is very relaxing and beautiful. Just remember to bring a life jacket for the baby.
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Yosemite Valley from the lake will be close to a 2 hour drive each way, but I would definitely go because you'll be right there, and you have lots of time in the area.

In Oakhurst, there's a supermarket called Raley's that is a bit better than the Von's.

Other than relaxing around the lake, there's not a lot to do in the area besides taking scenic drives in the mountains. Does anyone in your group like to fish?
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM

I also prefer Raley's to Vons, but if you're coming through Fresno I would stop at Costco and Trader Joe's, as itsv suggested. They're both on Blackstone - TJ's is north of Ashlan, and you can continue north on Blackstone to Herndon, where Costco is located.

Do take a day and head to Yosemite. Just head to the north end of the lake and take the road to Hwy. 41, then north on 41 to the park.

If you're renting a boat, all of you (not just the baby) need to wear life jackets. Don't take a chance on wrecking your vacation!

If you'd like to take a scenic detour, take Rd. 200, the North Fork Byway, from 41. It's a pretty drive! Then, when you get to North Fork, drive through (there's a nice little coffee place called Slim's Koffee Shak if you need a stop) and turn left at the intersection to Bass Lake.

I grew up in this area and just spent a month there. Have a great time!

Lee Ann
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Lee Ann, do you remember when the place in Wishon Cove was McDougald's? And campers around the lake calling "Elmer" in the dark? And when North Fork was actually a prosperous little town?

My husband's family camped at the lake every summer from the late 50's to the mid 80's, and his parents retired there. We spent our honeymoon in one of the log cabins at the original Ducey's.

Sequess, it's a lovely area, you will enjoy it.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

The house we're renting is said to be in walking distance to the Pines Village and has a boat slip at the Beaver Mtn Assn. dock. We owned a vacation home on a lake when we lived in Georgia and are looking forward to some time on the lake.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 01:49 PM

I remember McDougald's, but we never camped at Bass Lake.

Once the mill closed, North Fork certainly dwindled. There are people in town trying to keep it going, working on a variety of creative endeavors. I hope they succeed!

Lee Ann