Barrington as Base?

Old Jun 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barrington as Base?

Thanks for the suggestions on my previous inquiry re: antiquing in Northern Illinois. The main purpose of our trip in early October is to go to the Kane County Flea Market in St. Charles. Other places now on our list include Long Grove, Richmond, and the railroad museum in Union. Other than that, we enjoy just driving around pretty countryside looking for garage sales and maybe checking out a couple of historic home and sites.
Looking at the map, BARRINGTON seems centrally located for our interests. It also appears to be an easy drive from/to ORD. The place I'm considering is a B&B called Barrington House.
www.Barringtonhouse.com
Would appreciate comments from anyone familiar with the area...and maybe even this lodging. I am hoping it is a charming village and not just an area of urban sprawl!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM

I don't anything about that hotel specifically, but Barrington is more suburban that villagey. That said, I don't have an alternative close by - Chicago area is increasingly built up in general. This may be your best bet.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM

I haven't been in the Barrington area for several years, but yes it is built up, it's on the edge of what you would call suburban Chicago and then to the west countryside that is being built up.
The area is quite lovely, "moneyed".
You could stay in Geneva or St Charles as your base, I know both of these towns and they are what you are describing as a charming village, both with downtown areas that are hanging on to the past, yet moving forward.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Although not as centrally located, but another possibility would be Geneva, which has a downtown area similar to Long Grove, & is the suburb next to St. Charles. Might want to check out the Herrington Inn which is in a charming village sort of area, along the river. http://www.herringtoninn.com/
Don't know how many garage sales you will find in Barrington but you may see many large expensive homes. You may find more garage sales in suburbs of Streamwood, Hoffman Estates, Hanover Park, Schaumburg (that is a central location but very urban sprawl) & St. Charles.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound like Barrington is the right place for us. I've checked Herrington House, but it is very expensive. Might end up there anyway. I'll start another thread on a place we're considering
a bit further west.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM
k

Check the Baker hotel in St Charles. Have you checked to see if there are other B&B's in St charles and Geneva??
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Many places in Geneva and St Charles are already sold out for the first weekend in October. Herrington is not available. There are some rooms open at the Baker Hotel, so I might consider that.
They don't have on site parking or any outside sitting areas, though, which are both important to me.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM

There are benches in front of the hotel, which face the main street running through St. Charles. The hotel is right on the river and I thought they had an outside patio area that faces the river.
Parking in St. Charles is safe, there are parking lots near the hotel.