barbara & others in san diego

Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

barbara & others in san diego

hi Barbara:
I've been out of touch on fodor's studying for classes, so i'm not sure if this has been talked about on this sight.

But, i'm thinking of you and others who may be in the north county area of San Diego. I pray you and your home are okay. I know it is pretty bad. Thousand of acres are burning, and many of our friends are affected. And our daughter and son-in-law are staying with us as they are in Rancho Pensaquitos.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM

Its pretty bad here in San Diego so I ask all forodrites to keep San Diego in their prayers. We are fine because we live near Old Town but if people are coming to San Diego in the next 3 days, I would seriously reconsider your plans.

There are 8 fires now burning in san Diego. A giant area of San Diego is being evacuated. From the 5 freeway in Del Mar at the 56 freeway all the way up to Oceanside/Carlsbad to the 15 freeway on the other side of the county is threatend. None of the fire is contained. Around 2 a.m. last night the fire jumped the 15 freeway and is now headed to the coast.
Two fires have merged and they say now Rancho Santa Fe is threatened. The mayor has asked everyone not to use your cellphone, to limit water use and to stay home if need be. of course my son's high school downtown has decided to hold school today but he says his classes are only half full.

Authorities are predicting it will be worse than the Cedar fire. Quolcomm stadium where the Chargers play is an evaculation center now.

On a personal note, my husband's 95 yr. old aunt and cousin in Rancho Bernardo were evacuated. When we finally "found" them this morning, they were sleeping on the floor of a place. Luck would have it that my mom who lives in North Park is on a cruise for the week, so I have moved them to her house and just got back from the store to get them groceries. We believe based on news reports that her house has burned down. So please keep her in your prayers.

I am sorry if I am sound like I am in a panic, but the mayor and fire chief look very worry. the only good thing is that the wind has blow all ash and smoke away from my house so I think I am the only place in San Diego that has a blue sky over thier house.

itsV
Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:57 AM

itsv-I am sorry to hear about your husband's aunt's house. I live in Fallbrook and there are several small fires about 4 miles from me but with these winds 4 miles is nothing. I am listening to News 8 here in San Diego and one of the veteran reporters just watched his house burn down.

The area that is being evacuated is at least 250,000 people including a hospital in Poway. I know that Barbara lives in that area so I am saying my prayers for her and all of the people affected by this.

One thing I can say for the city of San Diego and the County of San Diego, they really learned a lot from the Cedar fire in 2003 where lives were lost. They have not taken a chance getting people evacuated. So far only 1 person has died and there have been some injuries but nothing compared to 2003.

itsv-It is hard not to panic a little because it's all so overwhelming. I decided to stay home today since I had to go to Palm Springs. Didn't think it would be wise to be far from home.

We appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM

Sending prayers your way. How is La Jolla?
Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:33 AM

Thanks for all your concern. I live just south of one of the evacuated areas (Hgghway 56 and I-15) and had not heard as of 6:30 a.m. that my school district had cancelled classes, so went off to school in Santee (I'm a teacher)after packing my car with important papers (and passport!)and such. Got to school in time to find out that the district had closed so I stayed to call other staff members. I decided to just stay and catch up with work and have been listening to the radio. Worry that this is just the beginning. Firetrucks are coming from all over the state and communication seems to be working well. Everything is being done, but Mother Nature is in control.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

itsv, sorry to hear about your mom's house. keeping eveyone in our prayers.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM

McLaurie-La Jolla is fine. Most of the fire is inland although I just heard them saying something about Oceanside which is coastal. So not sure. But the actual city of San Diego and the central part of San Diego County is OK at least for now.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM

itsv, I'm glad your aunt is safe.

Paula, I'm saying special prayers for you and Barbara.

Gee, usually I don't like Oct b/c the winds dry out my hair. Kind of puts it in perspective, doesn't it?

Blessings to all, be safe.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:29 PM

Well the fires are spreading. There is a fire in Fallbrook and they are evacuating within about a mile of my house. I am ready to go but because I have 2 dogs and 2 cats am keeping an eye on things.

They are also now evacuating the Scripps Ranch part of San Diego which is where so many homes were lost in 2003.

All I can say is-it's scary!
Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:54 PM

My sister who lives in San Diego and works right next to the airport has her work closed down for the day due to the fires. My family still live in S.D and my Mother who is 60 days away from her 90th birthday is in Sharps Hospital not doing well at all. I am on the East Coast. Not sure about flying into S.D at this time. I was hoping she would see her 90th birthday.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM

diann, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully, this won't last long and you'll be at her side soon.

Like everyone else in SD, I've been going between the news, what I need to get done and the internet.

Here's something that I just heard on the news. In Rancho Santa Fe the fire fighters had a difficult time getting to houses behind an electronic gate. Power goes out, gate doesn't open. Yikes.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 04:29 PM

Paula, my thoughts are with you. These fires are the scariest ones ever -- and so many and so widespread. Take care. And to Barbara and to Becky too if they're monitoring this.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 04:32 PM

That is terrible news. I hope you'll all be safe from Harm.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
lvk

Paula,

I was just in my car and heard about the Fallbrook evacuations and immediately thought of you. Sending good thoughts your way.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes. About 4pm they decided to evacuate the whole town of Fallbrook which is around 45,000 people. While the fires were not threatening a good part of the city you just never know especially at night. Also Fallbrook is a rural town that only has two ways in and out. One way is off Interstate 15 which was closed down. The other way is Highway 76 that leads to the coast. There is no way 45,000 people could get out in time on one road if something happened suddenly. So they took lots of precautions. I had no problem going because the fire was on my side of town. Some of my friends stayed who lived on the other side. Lots of thanks to the Marine Corp at Camp Pendleton which opened the base and let people leave Fallbrook. It took me about 2 hours just to get out of town.

lvk-I am now in your area at my daughter's in Redondo Beach. I have two dogs and two cats and she has a yard so it was really the only place to go.

I hope we get to go home tomorrow but probably only if the winds die down. I hope Barbara and all the other San Diego Fodorites are OK.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:22 AM

Please seriously do not come to San Diego this week. Hotels are needed for everyone evacuated (over 250K people so far and more joining that number.)

Fire has gotten really bad, on top of local mountains news report fire gust have it 100 mph.

The fire in the south has increased and new areas of San Diego (Spring Valley, Rancho San Diego, Bonita, chula Vista) are being evacuated. My friends who live in the beach at Del Mar were evacuated at 9 p.m. today. News reports right now at 2 a.m. that it is 81 degrees in Escondido. Even though in live in Old Town I have decided to stay up for a few hours because I am so worried about our friends and family. All schools in San Diego are cancelled tomorrow.

Also if you want news of San diego, check signonsandiego.com and look in community forums. Info seems very good in terms of posting on actual time as to what is happening. Also air quality in all of Southern California is very bad so seriously reconsider any vacations here.
Keep all of us in your prayers, itsv
Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:56 AM
lvk

Paula,
I'm glad that you and your pets are safe. Can you use that link from itsv above to find out what is happening in your neighborhood?

Continuing to keep good thoughts for Barbara and all other San Diego Fodorites.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:21 AM

I have actually been using www.nctimes.com which is the website for the North County Times newspaper. You can then go to different stories and read comments for people who stayed in the area. I have been going on the Fallbrook comment blog and this is about the only way to get info because it's very sketchy from the Fire Officials.

My part of town seems to be fine right now and I could probably get back home. Just a little worried if the winds today end up being as bad as they say they are going to be. Then who knows which direction the fires will go.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM

I send my prayers and good thoughts to all of you living through this inferno. May you all be safe and out of harms way.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM

Reading these posts from fellow Fodorites living through the inferno really puts a personal touch on it for those of us watching the news stories from other parts of the country. Best of luck to all to come through safe and sound.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO