Reload this Page >

Bar Harbor or Martha's Vineyard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 12:17 PM
nance

Trying to decide between these two for the w/o Sept 30 for a 4 or 5 night stay (driving from NYC). Both sound great-any suggestions??Already checked out accomodations for both. If Maine wins, where's the best place to make a stopover to cut the trip? Appreciate any help...

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Pots

I'd do Bar Harbor/Mt. Desert Island. Can explain why if you like but would probably overstate the differences and make MV'ers mad.

More to the point: what do you want, like, etc., and where are you coming from (so I know where it would make sense to stop)?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:39 AM
nance

Hi Pots-thanks! Coming from 20 mi west of NYC, will be going via GSP, Tpke,95N, etc.Just looking for a nice and different vacation,beautiful, relaxing atmosphere,good food. Why don't you 'understate' for me!:0) Would Kennebunkport be a good stop?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:00 AM
Beth

Why go all the way to Bar Harbor? I just don't see the appeal!
If you do, Kennebunkport would be a fun stop over, as would Ogunquit, but you'd still have such a drive ahead of you!
Haven't been to Martha's Vineyard, but Nantucket was lovely.
Either would certainly be warmer than Bar Harbor!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Pots

The reasons to go to Bar Harbor include the unbelievable physical beauty of island, mountain, and coast. It will be chilly but it's likely the leaves will be in their glory then.

A couple of obvious stopovers would be Old Sturbridge Village (closer to you, further to Mt. Desert Island), Freeport, Maine (further from you, much closer to island), or Boothbay -- which is a kind of appetizer of Bar Harbor and a little too far from NYC in the first place, anyway.

You could also consider an overnight in Boston itself, figuring 6-7 hrs. to B.H. or why not consider an overnight outside of Boston, say in Concord where you could see Walden Pond, the DeCordova Museum, or the Concord-Lexington Battleground. One last suggestion: stop and stay at the Wayside Inn in Sudbury/Wayland -- a lovely restored colonial inn with charming restaurant. Not too far off the interstate, a real change of pace.

(Nantucket is a lot nicer than M.V. in being less possessed by wealth and celebrity. M.V. has a lot of its own beauty, but I find the sight of limousines cruising around the island really unsettling. A lot to like there, though -- I don't want to overstate the situation, just give a recommendation re:choice between the two. B.H. has plenty of visible wealth too, but it's remote enough to have toned it down and you don't have to worry about Clinton or Taylor sightings.)

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:16 AM
nance

Thanks to all!! After alot of digging, it looks like Nantucket is the place. Maine is definatley appealing, but it sounds like we should take our time and do a couple of stops. Any input on Nantuket would be great! By the way Pots-your take on MV seems to be the general consensus so don't feel bad...

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Charles

Pots-

Are you crazy? Nantucket is much wealthier than the Vineyard. Everything costs 3 times as much and everyone is 3 times as wealthy. You couldn't possibly get it more wrong. I have a house on the Vineyard and many friends with houses on Nantucket. Don't get me wrong - they are both lovely places.

Nance - for purposes of comparison the Vineyard is more like the upper west side/ west village , and Nantucket is more like the upper east. In general the Vineyard is more politically liberal (vineyard=democratic Nantucket=Republican) and more casual - ties are common on Nantucket, ripped shorts are common on the Vineyard. Nantucket has only 1 town, where the vineyard has 5, but Nantuckets is more of a town because of this.

I have never in all my years seen a limo on the Vineyard. I'm sure there is one, but what a horrible thought. Certainly a rare bird.

And Bar Harbor, though a little touristy, is nice. Mt Desert as a whole is lovely.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Kathy

I went to the Cape last year around this time and had a wonderful time. There are hardly any crowds & it is a real treat. We stayed in Hyannis at the Inn on Sea Street (fantastic B&B!) and took the ferry to the Vineyard & then to Nantucket. Also took a day trip over to Provincetown & that was also great fun. We were only there for 4 days & wish we could've stayed longer.

Bar Harbor is supposed to be beautiful but I think it would be a good call to go to the Vineyard this time if only to avoid all the crowds.