Bar Harbor / Never been before

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, sister and I who are all in our 50's will be spending 3 days in Bar Harbor, ME the second week in June. We will be driving up from Boston stopping in Kennebunkport and Camden along the way. We've never been before to Bar Harbor before.

We are staying at Emery's Cottages on the shore. I know there are hikes, lots of beautiful views, boat cruises to see lighthouses and whales but is there something special you loved and would care to pass on? Your favorite thing there or something special we might miss if you hadn't told us about it? Anything thing from your favorite lighthouse to a great place to stop for lunch would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Craig, Robbyn and Amy
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:15 AM

Will you be doing any hiking? Let me know your level of stamina, and I can recommend trails we especially like.

If you like pastries for breakfast: Morning Glory Bakery
"diner" breakfast: Jordans (on Cottage St.)
Our favorite restaurant: Cafe This Way
If the afternoon is beautiful, have popovers on the lawn at Jordan Pond House.

I could go on, but if you click on my name you'll see more suggestions. We're headed back for our (8th, 9th?) visit this September.

~Liz
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Liz,
We all walk about 1-3 miles a day but still I think we would enjoy the less difficult trails. Thanks for any suggestions. I will click on your name for more info. Thanks so much!!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:50 AM

the view from Cadillac mountain is terrific.We went to a dock side restaurant next to a ferry slip on the south side of the park,actually outside the park.Had lobster rolls,and just sat back and relaxed.Also had a really nice outside dinner in Bar Harbor at the hotel on the water, may have been called Bar Harbor Inn, not sure.But went at dusk,really nice.They also have a sailing ship dinner at the same hotel that was incredible.Im sure someone will have the names of the places.I think the ferry place was in South Bar Harbor
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM

+1 on the Jordan Pond idea--great experience
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM

i recall, it was Southwest Harbor--we ate at 2 places there, one was a very casual lunch place at the ferry, and the other was Red Sky
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM

We enjoyed Lulu's Lobster tour. It was fun and informative with some local flavor.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:49 AM

Take the drive up Mt Battie in Camden for a fantastic view. It's our favorite spot to picnic. Don't forget your binnoculars. Mid-June you should see lupines in bloom. Several years ago we went to the lupine festival in Stonington on the Blue Hill Peninsula just before you get to MDI. They had maps to areas of best blooms. If you need reading material there's a great used book and antique store on Rt 1 called the Chicken Coop. It's north of Camden, before Ellsworth. Also before Ellsworth, if I remember correctly, a great place for lunch is Just Barb's on Rt 1 in Stockton Springs. Nice, small local place. No view but great food. While whoopie pies are one of our favorite hi carb foods, I also highly recommend rhubarb pie.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:02 AM

Visit the lighthouse at Bass Harbor.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for all the great tips. I will look for the Chicken Coop for sure and the rhubarb pie, the Bass Harbor Lighthouse, Jordon Pond House and all the other great sounding restaurants. I'm making a Fodor's List, thanks.
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:42 AM

I recommend Thurston's Lobster Pound; it was one of our favorite places when we visited several years ago. It's in the town of Bernard, near Southwest Harbor, and I highly recommend it for lunch or dinner.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:48 AM
yk

+1 on the popovers @ Jordan Pond House! I salivate every time I think about it.
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Jordan Pond - there 's a nice hike around the pond that we've enjoyed several times.

My suggestion is always to take a drive over to the Schoonic Pennisula portion of Acadia. Its about a 45 minute drive or a short ferry. This portion of the park has a charm of its own and is very underutilzed. There is just something so very peaceful about sitting on the granite rocks that jut out into the ocean while the waves crash all around. Nearby is the quaint Winter Harbor for lunch or dinner.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 05:59 AM

bkmk
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM

TTT

Would appreciate any information on the ferry schedule to Schoonic Penn. where does it leave from, how long does it take, how much, can you bring the car? will be traveling to bar harbor mid-Sept. and the Peninsula looks like there are some beautiful sites. thanks in advance!
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM

Looks like the ferry to Schoonic Pennisula stops at end of August:

http://www.downeastwindjammer.com/bar-harbor-ferry/

~Liz
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 06:41 PM

thanks Liz. guess I'll have to find alternate things to do.