Baltimore, Maryland, what to see

Feb 28th, 1998, 07:56 AM
Lee Gruenwald

Baltimore, Maryland, what to see

My husband and I will be visiting New York and Washington once again in May and were wondering about stopping in Baltimore this time. I have heard that the aquarium there is first rate. Can anyone tell me about it and any place else worth seeing. Also any reasonably priced hotel suggestion would be helpful as the Canadian dollar is at an all-time low. Thanks,

Feb 28th, 1998, 11:22 AM
Bill

Baltimore is well worth a visit. The Aquarium is indeed nice. If you are baseball fans, don't miss the Orioles. Great restaurants (try steamed crabs if you are adventurous). A cruise out to the Chesapeke Bay. A trip down to Annapolis (the State capital, very quaint, with the US Naval Academy as well.).
For lodging, try the Comfort Inn, Inner Harbor, right near the baseball stadium

Feb 28th, 1998, 10:37 PM
Margate

Definitely add a stay in Baltimore to your itinerary! There is something there for every taste -- National Aquarium, Camden Yards (Orioles Baseball Stadium), Babe Ruth Birthplace & museum, Edgar Allen Poe house & museum and Poe grave site at Westminster Church, Peabody Library (gorgeous, like no other library I've ever seen), shopping at the Inner Harbor or on Antique Row, taking a Harbor Cruise on one of the many boats/ships (my favorite is one that includes a steel drum band as entertainment). There are so many possibilities. There is also an abundance of wonderful cultural activities to take advantage of. In mid-May is the Preakness Stakes (I believe it's the 3rd Saturday in May) and there are lots of festivities leading up to that event. Little Italy (a section of Baltimore) is a great place for dinner. If you're hungry for crab cakes, go to Angelina's. You can probably find some deals on hotels around the Harbor but another possibility is to stay out in the suburbs (like Timonium) and take the light rail into downtown. It's fun, fast, and easier and cheaper than finding and paying for a place to park a car downtown. If I recall correctly, there are also day passes available for purchase which entitle you to unlimited bus and water taxi transportation downtown. This pass will get you around downtown if you stay in the suburbs and go downtown via light rail. Enjoy Baltimore and the rest of your trip!

Feb 28th, 1998, 10:39 PM
Margate

Definitely add a stay in Baltimore to your itinerary! There is something there for every taste -- National Aquarium, Camden Yards (Orioles Baseball Stadium), Babe Ruth Birthplace & museum, Edgar Allen Poe house & museum and Poe grave site at Westminster Church, Peabody Library (gorgeous, like no other library I've ever seen), shopping at the Inner Harbor or on Antique Row, taking a Harbor Cruise on one of the many boats/ships (my favorite is one that includes a steel drum band as entertainment). There are so many possibilities. There is also an abundance of wonderful cultural activities to take advantage of. In mid-May is the Preakness Stakes (I believe it's the 3rd Saturday in May) and there are lots of festivities leading up to that event. Little Italy (a section of Baltimore) is a great place for dinner. If you're hungry for crab cakes, go to Angelina's. You can probably find some deals on hotels around the Harbor but another possibility is to stay out in the suburbs (like Timonium) and take the light rail into downtown. It's fun, fast, and easier and cheaper than finding and paying for a place to park a car downtown. If I recall correctly, there are also day passes available for purchase which entitle you to unlimited bus and water taxi transportation downtown. This pass will get you around downtown if you stay in the suburbs and go downtown via light rail. Enjoy Baltimore and the rest of your trip!

Mar 1st, 1998, 04:09 PM
Margate

Our Sunday paper travel section had a toll-free phone number to receive a free savings book offering discounts to more than 200 entertainment and cultural attractions, museums, hotels, shops and restaurants in and around downtown Baltimore when paying with a Visa card. Call (800) 394-5718.

Mar 3rd, 1998, 07:18 PM
Lee Gruenwald

Thanks so much for your great advice Bill and Margate. I will be calling that 800 # first thing tomorrow. We really appreciate you taking the time to help us - Baltimore is definitely on our itinerary now!

Mar 5th, 1998, 05:08 PM
Alan Miller

The aquarium is excellent! Make sure you allow plenty of time there because if you rush you do not get to appreciate it at its fullest. The rainforest at the top is awesome with a lot of colorful birds.It is warm in there however.They have dolphin shows at timed intervals. The one i went to was mediocer at best.More geared to how Dolphins adapt in the ocean than performing tricks.The Dolphin shows are new; however.IMPORTANT: the aquarium does get extremely crowded so call before and ask for the best times.If you like sharks.all different kinds,you are in the right place.So take your time and enjoy!

Mar 5th, 1998, 05:09 PM
Alan Miller

The aquarium is excellent! Make sure you allow plenty of time there because if you rush you do not get to appreciate it at its fullest. The rainforest at the top is awesome with a lot of colorful birds.It is warm in there however.They have dolphin shows at timed intervals. The one i went to was mediocer at best.More geared to how Dolphins adapt in the ocean than performing tricks.The Dolphin shows are new; however.IMPORTANT: the aquarium does get extremely crowded so call before and ask for the best times.If you like sharks.all different kinds,you are in the right place.So take your time and enjoy!

Jul 21st, 2003, 09:58 AM

HAs anyone ever stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Timonium?
Jul 21st, 2003, 10:59 AM

Wow, I can't believe a thread that hasn't seen activity in over 5 years got reactivated to ask about a Red Roof Inn.

I stay often at Red Roofs, including the BWI, Laurel, and DC locations. I'm neither impressed nor disappointed with any of them. No frills lodging at a no frills price, and I like them. And you'd probably get more responses with a NEW thread titled "Red Roof Inn in Timonium MD - Experiences?"

Jul 21st, 2003, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the advice I hate to start more and more threads but I will LOL!