Bally's vs. Paris vs. Mirage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm attending a trade show in Vegas during January. My three hotel options are Bally's, Paris, and Mirage. Paris and Mirage are $240/night, while Bally's is $220/night. Any recommendations? I haven't been to Vegas in 7 to 8 years.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:06 PM

Bally's only $20 a night less then Mirage/Paris????? You gotta be kidding! I always thought of Bally's as of a more budget place like Flamingo!

Bally's is kinda away from the strip, there is a running walkway which may be out of order in January if it will be raining. We saw it happened in February.

For this reason I'd go with either Paris or Mirage.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:07 PM

They all seem expensive, but since you have to be there then . . .

Check out reviews at www.tripadvisor.com. They're submitted by real people. It's my understanding that Mirage is the nicest of those three, but I've also read good things about Paris. I don't think I could ever make myself pay that much for Bally's. It's more like a $100/night hotel at best. It's your average low- to mid-cost basic hotel that isn't horrible, but has nothing special about it.

Can you get a fountain view room at Paris for that price? Probably not, but if you can, I'd jump on that.

Where is your conference? Paris is a bit more central than Mirage, but the difference is small.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM

I thought of something else.

Is the trade show you're attending on the new monorail station? Then definitely Paris.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:56 PM

fainaagain, Ballys is not away from the Strip, it is ON the Strip. However, there is no comparison between Ballys and Paris/Mirage. For only a $20 a night difference, I suggest either Paris or Mirage. Paris is the newest of the 3 properties, but the Mirage is known for having a huge returning customer base, so that alone should say something.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM

Bally's is very well situated on the strip--right next to Paris. However, if these are the best rates you can get, go for Paris.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:26 PM
JRP

The extra $20 should not be a consideration and is an insult to The Mirage and Paris. They're not even in the same category. My recommendation would be Mirage for creature comforts and ambience, and Paris for location, restaurants and shopping.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:18 PM

Mirage is very nice - they have just re-done the rooms. Also very good places to eat. If you do Mirage - ask for an upgrade to a Volcano view room.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:19 PM

Bally's? LOL! We just got back from Las Vegas. Paris would be first and then Mirage. You can get a room at the Wynn Sun-Thurs for $159. at a special rate. Wynn is better than any of those.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 03:19 AM

You can't always get that rate on weekdays at the Wynn. I'm sure mgib is there at a very busy time, so prices are accordingly high. If so, Wynn would be just as overpriced.

As to Faina's comment about Bally's - it is on the strip, but the hotel itself is also situated quite a ways off the strip sidewalk, hence the reference to the moving walkways that may or may not be operating depending on the weather.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:51 AM
Tess

I'd go with either Paris or Mirage...they're both wonderful. Mirage has the better pool (we've used both the Mirage and Paris pools during January trips--the weather that time of year is a real crapshoot, though) The rate you quoted for all three hotels sounds high for January. I would book, then keep checking both websites for better deals. You should be able to get either one in January for $160-$180 with no trouble.

FYI--The really nice thing about Paris is the location--you are smack dab in the middle of the strip. Last time we were there, we had a view of the Bellagio fountains and could even hear the music--wonderful!

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all of the replies. I'll be in Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), which is one of the larger shows in Vegas. The trade show is at the Las Vegas Convention Center, so proximity to the Monorail is a plus. The trade show literature states the ride from Paris to LVCC is only 7 minutes. Sounds like I'll do Paris.

My wife is tagging along and wants to eat at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill at Caesars. She's a food network junkie. Any thoughts on this restaurant or others?
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 08:18 AM

We just dined at Mesa Grill on the 12th. Fabulous! If you can request Greg for your waiter, do it. Bradley Ogden has a pretentious and condescending waitstaff. Mesa Grill does not. Fleur d' Lys would also be a nice "date night" dinner. Do you enjoy Japanese? Nobu at Hard Rock is very, very good.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 08:41 AM

Based on your criteria I think your choice to stay at the Paris is probably right. Having the monorail right there is a big plus - though it is pretty easy to access it from Bally's as well. Have not stayed at either Paris or Bally's (but have at the Mirage), but between Paris and Bally's I'd choose Paris myself (admittedly not based on knowledge of the rooms, just based on general atmosphere of the place).

If you are interested in any of the buffets at any time, the Village Buffet at the Paris is generally considered one of the best (if not THE best) buffet in Vegas. Have had both breakfast and dinner there and enjoyed both.

You might find this site useful:

http://www.ratelasvegas.com/

Have been to several of the buffets listed and find that their ratings coincide with my own. Have not eaten in enough of the restaurants to form an opinion of the ratings.

Ken
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM

I prefer the big rooms with big windows at Bally's to the smaller rooms with little windows at the Mirage; however, I'm usually paying $79-$89 Sun-Thu and $159 on weekends.

Bally's is my favorite hotel on the Strip at the right price.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Paris vs Bally's or Mirage??? Is this really a decision to make???? Paris hands down!!! But if you're attending that convention, then convenience might be the deciding factor because it can be a total zoo getting to and from the convention.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 01:43 PM

I just stayed at Bally’s last week. The nicest thing about the hotel is that it’s next to the Paris. We did most of our wandering and eating over at Paris. Ate at Le Provencal, Le Café de St. Louis, Lenotre for pain chocolate. Bally’s does have large rooms with two queen sized beds and enough space for desk, chair and table. I had a so so view of buildings then realized that if I looked in a certain direction I had a partial view of the Bellagio fountains. The Paris/Ballys monorail station is in the back of the hotel so we tried that out…took it to the Convention Center stop and then a Wynn shuttle bus to the Wynn.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Mirage has a beautiful tropical lobby, nice pool area, and the "zoo" out in back. At Paris, you are assaulted by the smoke and gambling machines upon walking into the lobby. Stark, disappointing pool area. Mirage by far!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Tess

xkenx,
You're right about Paris' pool area being stark and uninviting. We stayed there last January during a wonderful hot spell. Sitting by the pool and gazing up at the Eiffel Tower should have been amazing--instead I felt like I was sitting in a concrete jungle. I do love Paris overall, though, and wouldn't let the poor pool area stop me from staying there.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Pis_Pistofferson

Don't let the decor of Mesa throw you off.
We passed the first time around and dined elsewhere & returned on another date to actually dine & we were impressed, especially after our low expectations.
All too often, people dine with their eyes first.

Pis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -