Reload this Page >

Baggage checks in NYC?

Search

Baggage checks in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:06 AM
stelle

Baggage checks in NYC?

Any ideas as to where to check a bag temporarily (a few hours)in NYC? Seems as though the baggage checks at Grand Central, Penn Station and Port Authority are not operating due to security concerns. Thanks!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:23 AM
stelle

Just trying again so it doesn't drop out of the top 50.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:41 AM
ny

I'll top it again for you, but frankly I can't think of anyplace that would keep luggage for you other than perhaps, a hotel that will you will check into later in the day or one that you have just checked out of. As a NYer I really wouldn't want anybody to be able to leave unattended luggage somewhere at this point...

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Abbey

Stelle, are you arriving in NYC before you hotel check-in time, and need a palce to put your bags? If that is the situation, usually the hotel will store them for you. This is also the case if you are checking out of yur hotel but your flight isn't until later in the day. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Owen O'Neill

Penn Station will check bags for you but only if you display a valid Amtrak ticket. One approach that has worked for me is to find the closest hotel, approach the bellman or bell captain while having a few $$ visible in my hand, explain my dilemma and ask if they'd be "kind enough" to hold my bag for a few hours. This will usually result in success.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Kris

Good advice Owen. I would aslo like to add that you should make sure your bag is tagged properly and be willing to show the hotel some id. Also, Owen stressed "politeness" - please heed his comment. Have a great trip!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 07:59 AM
xx

Owen's advice about approaching a hotel doorman seems like a reasonable alternative, pre 9/11, but I suspect and
HOPE that hotels in big cities are a little more careful these days... It is possible that a doorman could lose his job over something like that.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Owen O'Neill

"xx"'s point is well taken. I have done this in the pre 9/11 days but at this point would (in addition to explaining my dilemma and asking politely while displaying the tip that I'll be offering) clarify that they are welcome to inspect the bags if security is a concern.