Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bad experience with Thrifty in basingstoke!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 15th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rent a car from there and i made a little bit damage just 2 stains non more than 3cm.when i returned the car, i told them i have a small touch with others, they even didnot take any pics, they said it was fine. After that later They charged me more than £ 200 before they called me. Is it reasonable? i got the estimate paper: it says that they need 4 hours to repair it, it cost £ 128, it is really rediculous! How they work on it like a snail. When i went to their office, first they didnot want me to see the estimate paper, so i guess they willnot send the car to repair, they just make money from it.

It never happened to me before, so i willnot to rent a car there!!!!!!!! The thrifty is a rubbish!

How i should do to verify that? Do you think the price is reasonable? if it really worth that price, it is ok, but i just think it is impossible, just 2 stains! looking forward to your response!
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

the 2 stains are at the front bumper
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM

You can always challenge the charge with your credit card company. But if Thrifty can show (1) the damage was present after you returned the car and (2) they experienced £200 worth of repair AND "loss of use"; then you won't have much of a case. Your only possible defenses would be (1) the damage was present before you rented it or (2) Thrifty agreed IN WRITING not to charge you. If you have no proof of either of these, you're going to have to pay it.

BTW, this is an all-too-standard procedure with all rental companies.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...shooter26.html
It's because of this fact that I always do a visual inspection before I take a car, have the clerk initial any damage (even the slightest nick), and take photos when I return it.
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Um, how do you "stain" a front bumper. Do you mean you hit someting hard enough that paint from the other object is masked into the bumper? Or are you talking about dents rather than "stains".

And sorry - and car that is returned with "stains" or dents will cost you.

Also - have no idea where Basingstoke is - are you sure you should be on the US board?
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:04 AM

"I made a little bit of damage."

If I'm reading this correctly, you admit you caused the damage to the vehicle and told the rental company you caused the damage. That being the case, you should pay for it.

Sometimes, repairs cost more than you think they do, and, as you know, the cost depends on the damage done (it could have been more extensive than you believe it is). Without knowing the exact details or seeing the damage to the vehicle, 200 pounds for repair may be reasonable depending on what was done.