Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who wants to visit Molokai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:26 PM
Maggi

There have been so many posts about Kauai, Maui, B.I. but almost no mentions of Molokai. In checking out the pictures on the Molokai website, it looks breathtakingly beautiful. So much so, that I am looking into accomodations for a four night stay. The canvas "tent" cottages at Molokai ranch look intriguing. Anyone stayed there? Or any comments on Molokai in general?

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Marie

No you are not alone, we came very close we were torn between the catamaran to Lanai or the Molokai Mule Ride, and opted for the Lanai trip, next time, I'm with you, I'd like to see the unspoiled Hawaii.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 01:38 PM
WildBill

Did a day trip to Molokai last time I was on Maui. Great place with excellent and generally secluded beaches on the East side of the Island. I've heard kind of mixed reviews of the tent cottages. While there aren't many hotels there are a number of condos and homes for rent. Try doing a web search for Molokai and Property Rentals. Good luck

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Cathy

Aloha,
We stayed in Molokai for 3 nights last year at Paniolo Hale condo on the west side. This condo is very nice at a very reasonable price. If you want relaxation, go to Molokai.
There is no nightlife nor shopping there. All the businesses are closed by 6PM. Exception is the place where you get hot bread at 10PM behind the alley.
We enjoyed our stay there. The lookout to Kalaupapa is beautiful. People are friendly. There is no traffic signal there, only stop signs. It is very rural. Papohaku beach on West side is nice with no shade but the beach is not crowded at all. You may see 3 or 4 other people in the 3 mile long beach. If you like crowded beaches, then forget Molokai. We went on a hike with Nature Conservancy of Hawaii to Kamakou Preserve. It is a beautiful hike on the boardwalk. The island is not as beautiful as Kauai but has its own charm. It would not be a good choice for someone who enjoys nightlife, and fancy cuisine. However, the unhurriedness of the island, the charm of the people and seclusion make it a nice place for a visit.
Cathy

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Steven

Sure, I'll go to Molokai -- when they build either a brand new Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons on the island!!!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Anne

If you were planning on visiting other islands, four nights on Molokai might be a little long. I think you would enjoy it, though. Yes, it doesn't have a Ritz Carlton but that is part of its charm!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Maggi

Anne, I'm with you. Although there are certain amenities that are enjoyable once in awhile at resorts, I'm looking for more private and unique spots to stay. Please keep the recommendations coming, thanks!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Sarah

There is a ranch on Molokai and from the looks of it, I am sure it surpasses any Ritz Carlton. I also do not go to Hawaii for Hotel stays but Nature. Molokai has the highest sea cliffs in the world. Anyone seen these cliffs?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:49 AM
kal

Aloha,
We've been to Molokai 3 times and used to stay at the Kaluakoi Resort on the west end of the island.

We were planning on going back a few yrs ago but we heard the K'koi went BK and we didn't feel like "roughing it" at The Ranch.

We loved Molokai. The only downside was not too many restaurants. We did like the uncrowded beaches and the views of Mauai, Lanai and the view of Oahu from our room. Was a good golf course too.

I couldn't do the mule ride because the person at the sign-in area told me I'd ride down OK but would have to carry the mule back up. I was, ahem, a bit larger back then.

The cliffs on the no'east end rival the beauty of the Na'pali!
Mahalo,
Kal

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:23 AM
Roy

Take a read of the notes on Hawaii at www.senior-infosite.com

Have fun,

Roy

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:14 PM
mule

We did the mule ride in '99 and loved it! The views are spectacular and it was a totally unique experience. Bring snacks though - we were more than ready for the ride-provided lunch which was sparse. We had to do the Father Damien tour before they fed us!! We saw mongooses, wild pigs and other wildlife.

I agree, there's not much to do in Molokai but nap. We did sea kayak on a very windy day. Enjoy!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
dejahma

Aloha;

We went to Molokai for a couple of nights last summer. It is great for just laying back. It is the friendly Island, met and chatted with more local residents than on any other island. The resort golf course is closed but is said to have been purchased by Sheraton and should be opening in the future. There is a 9 hole course still open. The beaches are great, but some have strong rip tides and should be treated with respect.

Your best bet would probably be to rent a condo. BTW there is some night life or there was last summer. The Molokai Hotel (where we stayed) has live entertainment Fri-Sun nights. They also have a pretty neat resturant right on the ocean. It really reminded me of what I have always thought of as old Hawaii. Swaying palms trees, night breezes, fisherman lights in the distance. If you are not into luxury you might want to stay there. It's a funky old resort with nice grounds. They still put the little sanitizer strips on the toilet, lol. The local kids windsurf right in front of the hotel and are a blast to strike up a conversation with.

Also try molokai pizza if you go. Uncle Sean runs the place and the pizza is very good. Best we've had in Hawaii.

Try Island Kine for your car rental. It's an experience in itself.

Oops I sound like a travel agent. We had a really good time and are going back next summer for a longer stay.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Diana

We are going to Molokai in May!! I can't wait. It looks beautiful, and fabulous--old Hawaii, the real Hawaii. We're into the scenery, and hiking, snorkelling, etc. (not nightlife particularly), so I think we'll really enjoy it! It is also our 10th anniversary (and we're going w/out kids) so we're looking forward to *relaxing* in a big way! We were debating which island to go to, until my husband's co-worker came back in November w/ his Molokai pictures. We were SOLD

When are you thinking of going?

P.S. We're staying at the Kaluakoi Villas (condos). The golf course is closed, but I'm not a big golfer so that's fine by me.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:53 PM
dejahma

Aloha;

We are planning to go the islands from mid-june to mid-august this summer. I just got back from Maui on Monday and it was a very eventful trip. I got 8 stiches in my head boogey-boarding on Friday and my 73 year old mom broke her ankle on Monday right before we were to leave. First vacation I have ever experienced with any injuries. We are both ok so what the heck. On a brighter note daughter and I tried one of those learn to surf in one day schools. This 48 year old mom stood up the first time, albeit on a teeny tiny wave, lol. Daughter was of course much better and much cuter.

Enjoy Molokai, don't expect luxury, fancy eats or planned activities. Do check out the Molokai Hotel for dinner one night, it is really old hawaii. Try Island Kine auto rentals, it's an experience. Chit chat with the folks and chill.

Aloha

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:31 AM
Alicia

Molokai mo Betta! We visted there in '99 and rode the mules down to the penninsula. What a trip! We still talk about it. If you are looking for a unique, spiritual experience, visit Molokai.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Debbi

We are returnng to Molokai this fall for our 7th (or 8th) time. We love it. As everyone states there is not as much to do as the other islands. But we usually find plenty. We now have friends there and look forward to our yearly return. We think we have seen every inch of the island, but still always find something new. We usually stay 2 weeks in a condo at Paniolo Hale. I read the Molokai Dispatch online and also email our friends so I am usually up on the latest news. If you are serious about going I can give you further advise if you wish.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Maggi

Wow, my Molokai topic got resurrected! I still haven't decided which islands for sure to visit in September. The more I read (here and elsewhere) the more confused I become. There are always pros and cons to everything. I still think Molokai looks beautiful. We are not into resorts, or artificial "Disney" beauty. I like to enjoy the natural beauty of a place. The sea cliffs look gorgeous. Can they be reached by car, or just by water or hiking? I wonder what it's like staying at the Molokai Hotel? It looks like it might be fun. Also, will look into condos, although I'm afraid they would require a 5-7 day minimum stay. We would stay 3 nights. Thanks everyone for replying so far.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:33 PM
kal

Maggi, This article on Molokai was in this Sunday's SF Chronicle. It may help you out a bit. Looks like my fave Kaluakoi Resort is still closed but getting closer to be reopened.
Kal

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...24/TR77725.DTL

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Maggi

Kal, what an interesting and informative article! Thanks so much for directing me to it - you have once again proven yourself so helpful on this forum.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Fi

I'm supposed to be planning a trip to Italy but got diverted here! Couldn't resist seeing what was written about Molokai, and the Kalauapapa Peninsula in particular. I did a day trip from Honolulu last year and did the mule ride down there. It was definitely one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. I thought I was going to die all the way down (you have to trust those mules!), but the breathtaking beauty of the place and its really indefinable spiritual quality were TOTALLY worth it. That sounds really naff and I'm not really a 'spiritual' sort of person, but the place has some kind of magic about it which adds up to much more than the sum of its parts. I am planning to go back with my husband as words and photos can't describe it to him, but I think I will walk down or fly in next time! Though maybe the sheer terror is part of the experience. The guy from Molokai Mule Rides (I think) was really helpful with the arrangements, and the 'resident' who ran the tour (Richard??) a real character, fantastic. If nothing else, telling people about your visit to the world's most beautiful leper colony is a great ice-breaker at parties!!