Search

BAD-ASS ROAD TRIP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 06:36 AM
daniel lee

BAD-ASS ROAD TRIP

Hey fellow travellers,

I think I've narrowed down our road trip in June (in which I only have 2 weeks).

We're gonna drive out from Chicago straight down 80 West to California, head out to Lassen Volcanic National Park, then down to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite, then down to Sequoia and King's something parks, then out to the Grand Canyon.

Does this sound feasible and is there something better you guys could recommend?
I want to do major hiking and camping. Will the campsites be impossible to find without reservations in early June?

Daniel

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 06:43 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Daniel, can't help you with your questions, but that's a great thread title!

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 07:56 AM
A.

Daniel, your trip sounds awesome...but if you want to do major camping in those popular National Parks you need to make your reservations EARLY. I believe the National Parks let you reserve up to 4 months in advance - but campsites go like crazy so I'd start researching the parks and campsites you'd like to stay at and make those reservations asap!! Have a GREAT time!!

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 08:11 AM
daniel lee

dear A.:

well, i've checked out the national parks website and i can't find any campsites available for reservations! however, there are a lot of walk-in sites and 1st come-1st served sites. I just wonder how easy they are to get in early june.

anybody have experience with this?

daniel

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 11:03 PM
SFSally

You shouldn't have too many problems getting campsites in California. School doesn't get out until around June 18-20 so you will be beating the local family business. Can't answer for other states. Certain high profile coastal campgrounds are reserved a year in advance. This doesn't appear to apply in your case as you don't mention coming all the way out to the coast. In any event try to secure your campsite early in the day.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 05:38 AM
chidaniel

dear SFsally,

yeah i hear you. my only concern is the major parks such as yosemite. it seems like all the reservable campsites are taken, and any 1st come-1st served sites might be a zoo. also, i've heard that campsites around there are $30. is that true?!?! what a rip-off!

daniel

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 06:00 AM
A.

Hi Daniel, it's me again! Have you checked out the National Park information on the Fodor's site? It is JAM PACKED with great, detailed information with lots of stuff on reservations, including toll free numbers, and what campgrounds are first come-first serve and which ones aren't. You are right about the first come-first serve sites being a zoo, and you have to get up VERY early in the morning to get a site - but it's worth it!! Keep researching...don't get discouaged your trip will be awesome!

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 07:03 AM
Polly

Oh, Daniel...there is no rip-off in Yosemite. The privilege of just being there is worth whatever they choose to charge. Enjoy, my friend. I am envious of your trip.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 12:57 PM
daniel lee

hey "A":

i looked on the national parks thread and there are only THREE topics! it is not JAM-PACKED like you said! (unless i'm looking in the wrong place...i looked under travel tips, then national parks...)

help?

daniel

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 01:22 PM
cp

RE: Yosemite/Lake Tahoe

Some camprgrounds in Yosemite are very hard to get into, others are not.
Tuolomne meadows and Yosemite Valley campgrounds are the hard ones to get into. Since there is So much snow in the high country, Tioga Pass Rd may not open until July, which means no access to Tuolumne meadow. However there are other camp sites that are in the Park, but not in Yosemite Valley proper. If you can't get a reservation, your best bet in the Valley is Sunnyside AKA Camp 4, the climbers camp. Even if it's full you can share spots with climbers (esp if you come bearing gifts of beer). It's on a day by day reservation sys. Then go to the reservations place in Curry Village by 8:00am and try to get a cancellation. I did this last year in late May, and had no problems. It does help to go during the week though. Oh yeah, don't bother trying to enter/exit on highway 140, it's closed for all but 4 hours a day and it attracts some major backlog. Use 120.
Re: Lake Tahoe, there is a HUGE snowpack in the Sierra, some ski areas will be open Memorial day weekend, and it snowed last night in Truckee. The MORAL? Be prepared for colder/wetter temperatures.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 05:01 AM
daniel

dear claudia:

thank you so very much for your killer info on yosemite camping. i was starting to get hopeless!

i also noticed that there are some other campsites that are non-reservations (e.g. Porcupine Flat, Tamarack Flat, White Wolf, and Yosemite Creek).

are these OK to get into as well, and how far are the campsites that aren't in yosemite proper? is it still hikable?
(i'd like to avoid driving a lot.)

thank you!

daniel

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 07:08 AM
claudia

Daniel,

The only catch on those other YNP campsites is that they are located on Tioga Pass Road, which may or may not be open. Check out www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/
It's the Caltrans highway information site, you can also call 800-427-7623 for the same info.
As far as campsites outside of Yosemite, once you pass Groveland, it's all Natl Forest, so you can camp wherever you want. But I'd guesstimate that it's a 20 minute drive from Groveland to the Park boundary, and once you're inside the park it's another 30-45 minute drive down into the valley, so you're going to drive some.

Another tip, I noticed you have 4 Natl Parks on your list. You can save yourself $10 if you buy a Golden Eagle Pass at the first Natl. Park you come to. Why? It's $10 to get into Lassen, $20 to get into Yosemite, $10 to get into Sequoia/King's Canyon and $20 to get into the Grand Canyon.
You might also want to check out www.nps.gov/parks.html.

Hope that helps.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 08:22 AM
A.

Hi Daniel, it's me...AGAIN! Sorry I wasn't specific enough about where to find the info on National Parks on this site, but I think I can do a better job this time. Go to the HOME page - www.fodors.com, then click on the "parks" button towards the bottom of the page, then click your pick on "pick your park" and hit "go". Each park & it's information is divided up into Lodging, Camping, Dining, Exploring, Arriving & Departing, and Essential Information. I think all the parks that you mentioned in your first message are there except for Lassen Volcanic NP. Take a look...I promise you won't be disapointed!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 12:51 PM
daniel

To the big "A":

Thanks again! I think that we are going to limit our trip to Yosemite and kick the living hell out of it (figuratively speaking). I would much rather stay in one place and do it right than drive everywhere and not do shit. (oops)

so anybody here ever done the climb up Half Dome. I'm really looking forward to doing this hike...i hear it takes 10-12 hours! WHEW!

danny boy

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 11:10 PM
D.B.

I find it curious that it seems people tend to push Yosemite over Tahoe. You run around Yosemite, jump in the stream if there's water and room to do so, look at the trees, and feed rats that you think at first are squirrels (don't argue, I have film). Although, there are some waterfalls that are fun to play in. Tahoe has a beautiful lake (Emerald Bay anyone), especially when it's like glass, as many trees as Yosemite (though none you drive through), and an oppourtunity to do more than just see the sights (a touch or so of mountain-high Vegas). Tahoe roads are clear, and you wouldn't be there until June (when it can be in the 80's or more). So, think about it ---
Yosemite is okay, but I can spend five in Tahoe to one in Yosemite (days that is).

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 05:55 PM
cedar

I thought you can camp anywhere on federal property out west. My boys pitch a tent anywhere off road when they are on federal property.

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 08:20 PM
Dayle

Daniel, you'll have a great trip! Yosemite will probably be the only place you'll have trouble getting in. If you do, just go for the national forest campgrounds. Many more of them and much less demand. Usually no showers, but I'm sure you guys can work around that. Also, if you're going back by way of Grand Canyon, why not go up and back through north rim, Zion, Bryce and Arches? All fantastic and Zion and Bryce have killer hiking. These parks don't take reservations, but if you get there early (8-9am) you should be able to get a spot. In Arches, be sure to make reservations to go on the Firey Furnace hike. It's great!

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 05:10 AM
daniel lee

dear cedar:

you mentioned camping anywhere on federal property. how does one know if the land is federal property?

for example, if we get tired as we're driving along the highway, how do we know we can just camp somewhere back in the woods?

daniel

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 07:39 AM
daniel

D.B.:

are you referring to Tahoe national forest? i think i would like to check that out, too.

i hear what you're saying about yosemite's touristiness, but i definitely wanna climb half dome and do the full-day hike.

daniel

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 02:41 PM
cp

No, you cannot camp on any old Federal Land out west.

Natl Parks restrict you to designated campgrounds, or require wilderness permits.

BLM has designated lands, some for recreation, some for mining or grazing or some industrial use.

Military land (of which there is a LOT out here)...

Natl Forest is the one type of land where you CAN camp willy-nilly. Coincidentally, most highways are most likely to go through Natl forest and usually have a big brown sign, like You are now entering Stanislaus Natl. Forest.

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -