Reload this Page >

Backstage theatre tours, NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:09 AM
Vicki

Need info on any of these tours I might be able to find for myself and 19-year old daughter. She is budding stage manager off to college soon, and we're bringing her to NYC for one last theatre blast. She would love a backstage tour. Does anyone have any info? Thanks. (PS - have tix to "Noises Off" and "Lion King" -- her choices).

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:42 AM
Howard

I believe that Lincoln Center has a tour. Perhaps, someone can provide more details.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:59 AM
lisa

The only one I know of is the Radio City tour. Not sure if you daughter would like it -- it's more about the design of the theater, the mechanics of the stage (which are kinda' cool), the history of the theatre, Rockettes, etc.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:35 PM
Nina

Yes Vicki there is a tour. The two hour walking tour leaves from the Times Square Vistors Center, 1560 Broadway, between 46th and 47th Streets, on the east side of Broadway.

The tour days vary according to the time of the year. You can either purchase advance tickets from Telecharge 1-800-432-7250 (with a service charge) or buy the $25 tickets directly from the Visitors Center. They have them three or four times a week and I think that they start at 9:00AM. I understand that they fill up fast. Call Telecharge for details, even if you don't buy from them they are very helpful.

There is only one tour a day and I think each tour has about 30 people. I don't know if they take more than one group at a time, but the tour itself is only given once a day.

They visit 15 different theaters including access to at least two theater interiors.

We are probably going to take the tour in May. If you take it before then, please let us know about it.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:36 PM
Nina

P.S. The name of the tour is Broaday Open House.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:41 PM
Nina

Oooops - sorry Vicki, I misread your question. You are looking for backstage tours. Let us know if you find any, as I would be interested too.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:11 PM
Vicki

Nina, the Broadway Open House actually sounds perfect. She just wants inside some theatres. Of course, backstage is her thing, but just getting in them would be great. This looks great. In fact, I had found this but when I originally looked, it was only available Wednesdays and Saturdays, now it's available Tuesday-Saturday. Thanks for your help. I just ordered the tickets! We go in April, so I'll try to remember to post how the tour was. Thanks again!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:22 PM
Brian Kilgore

There's a Carnegie Hall tour. Not exactly a theatre, but close.

BAK