Backpack in Washington DC Attractions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Amy

Hi!

I know backpacks are not allowed in the White House.
Are they allowed in the museums and other attractions?
I went on the Smithsonian web site and could only find information about cameras, etc.
We are planning to bring one so we can put water bottles, snacks, and food in it.
Will it be searched or have to be checked in at the front desk at certain attractions?

Any replies would be appreciated.
THANK YOU!!

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 01:48 PM
ilisa

I am a docent at the National Air and Space Museum, and can tell you that backpacks are allowed in the Smithsonian museums. You won't be searched, nor are there metal detectors. Air and Space does not have a coat/bag check, so you will have to carry the bag around. However, food and drink are not allowed, so don't bother taking them out of the bag inside the museums. By the way, I know for a fact that backpacks are allowed in the White House. However, you will have to put them through the metal detectors, and they can be searched. So, it may not be worth the hassle to bring one in.

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 02:37 PM
Bob Brown

The National Gallery of Art has a check room. I do not believe you can wear your pack in the galleries. I always check stuff so I don't have to carry it.

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 04:08 PM
Charlie

I've been to D.C.twice lately and encountered no restrictions on backpacks.As mentioned in an early post the White House as well as the National Archives require screening thru metal detectors and x-ray machines,just like the airports.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 09:22 AM
anna

Ilisa, when we were in DC 2 or 3 years ago we did go through a metal detector at the Air and Space. It was at the Enola Gay exhibit. Also, our bags were searched quite thoroughly there, moreso than at the white house even.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 09:38 AM
lisa

In the Capitol, you can bring your backpack in, but it does have to go thru metal detectors and they may search it. If you go into the House or Senate galleries to see the House or Senate floor, you will need to check your backpack and cameras, etc. (they have a place where you can do this).

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 09:40 AM
lisa

Also, regarding the comment that you can bring your backpack in the White House: I believe it depends on how big the backpack is. If it's a small one like a purse-size, I'm sure it's OK. If it's a big one like campers use, I'm sure it's not. For the medium ones (like bookbag-sized), they may be OK but I wouldn't count on it.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 09:54 AM
ilisa

The Enola Gay exhibit is no longer at the Air and Space Museum; there are no metal detectors to enter the museum and security could really care less what bags people bring in. You should see what people carry around. I checked with a friend who is with the Secret Service Uniformed Division at the White House (the ones who check the bags) and he advised me that medium sized, book bag backpacks are ok to bring into the White House. But, they may be checked.