Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Back to the ol' drawing board for BI accommodations (I think!)

Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Okay, y'all, I'm being a little wishy washy. Looking again at Kona Village rates, I'm starting to think they're a little beyond us for this trip. We had wanted to really splurge, but we definitely can't afford the Royal level accommodations there. I can't really bear the thought of staying at a typical resort, and I don't think I want a B&B for this half of our vacation, so I'm thinking of villas.

Can anybody recommend some nice villas anywhere along the west coast that have easy access to beaches and snorkeling? I'd say that up to $300/night would be about right for our price range. I found a couple of listings for villas overlooking Kealekekua Bay, and the villas themselves looked amazing--would you consider this a nice area to be located for 5 nights at the end of your vacation?

Anything else y'all might want to suggest?

I sure have appreciated all of your input so far on my trip planning--I'm just afraid that we may have to throw in the ol' KVR towel on this one and stay more economically.

Thanks!
Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM

Hi ej - I really like the area around Kealakekua Bay.

Carole
Apr 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM

They have alot of specials at Kona village. They have packages and a web offer which gives you the best availalble. Kona Village even in there lesser expensive hales is paradise. I have stayed on the pond and loved it. We are going in October and are staying in the royals and we are splurging. Kona Village is the most romantic place we have ever stayed ad it is so relxing. Don't be wishy washy and book Kona Village. You won't be sorry.
Apr 27th, 2008, 02:43 PM

ej,

A friend raves about the House of Merriment.

http://www.blackbamboohawaii.com/southkona.html
Apr 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM

If you're interested in the Kohala Coast, Hapuna Beach Prince Resort, Marriott Waikoloa, and Fairmont Orchard are all awesome!
Apr 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions, y'all. Bill, I've spent some time browsing all over the Black Bamboo website and I'm happy to know the place comes highly recommended from a friend. Carole, thanks for confirming that you like the Kealakekua Bay area. Linda, I called Kona Village and spoke with them about their various packages--I may be able to talk my husband into booking one of the lower level accommodations, which would be in our price range. But to be honest, since it doesn't have a/c I was afraid that at night we might have trouble sleeping with the increased vog. beachgirl, I took a look at all of those sites--if I liked traditional resorts I'm sure they'd be right up my alley. Thanks for taking the time to post.

May 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Have you looked at the Mauna Lani?
May 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

hi, annw. I looked at the Mauna Lani website but that style resort doesn't appeal to me for this trip. But I really appreciate your suggestion!

I think we may just go ahead and tighten our belts so that we can stay at Kona Village. Assuming, that is, that they still have availability...it's still the only place that captures our imagination.
May 16th, 2008, 03:57 AM

You won't be sorry. We are staying 5 nights which is really expensive as we booked the Royal for our anniversary. I know it will be worth it because we have been there. The rest of the time we are staying at B & B's which are very reasonable. Kona village is our splurge. What time of year are you going?
May 16th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

We're going the end of June to Honolulu, July 1-3 in Hilo, and July 4-9 is what we'd like to book at Kona. Naturally we would prefer to book the Royal hale but we had a recent financial downturn and we simply cannot afford it. Now we're not sure we can afford any but the lowest grade hale at KVR and we don't want to stay there if we're in a standard or garden one. I never once thought it wouldn't be "worth it", as so many people have urged me. But don't get thinking it's "not worth it" is the same thing as "can't afford it". When I first started planning our trip I thought we did have the budget for it, but things have changed. That's all.
May 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM

You seem to want to do something that is totally out of your price range. I would bet you're not getting many responses here because others cannot understand your attitude. You wouldn't be happy with a garden or standard hale at KVR? I'm shaking my head here. We would all like to vacation like the Hiltons but it's not happening.
May 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Fair enough, I see your point. I didn't elaborate on my reasons for not wanting a standard or garden hale--it's because of my asthma, the vog issues, and the hales not having a/c. Based on my research, the location of the standard and garden hales don't get catch as much of the seabreezes as the royal or deluxe hale locations. We can't afford to book either of those categores up front, and because it's a holiday weekend and the resort is crowded, chances are not good for us to book the "run of house" special and get placed in a deluxe.

When I first started researching a trip to the BI I fell in love with the looks of KVR, unusual because I"m not really a resort vacation kind of person. But then again, KVR isn't a typical resort experience. My original budget would have been ample to cover the KVR expenses, but since then we've taken another expensive trip and have had unforeseen other expenses. Whining made me feel a little better about it because other people could then share in my disappointment, but I totally get that it wouldn't be fun for you to read about.
May 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Okay, ejcrowe. I see your statements more clearly now. I would not want to stay on the Big Island without a/c, except at VNP, so I understand your wanting the breezes in a hale. Good luck with your plans; I know it's hard to give up a plan once your heart is set on it.