Back from Italy and I need an expert to answer these questions for me

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we travel, we learn more about the world outside of our own back yard. When things are different, in most instances, if we keep our mouths closed and our eyes and ears open, we will figure things out. However, after two weeks in Italy, I have a list of questions that I simply have not been able to answer. Feel free to answer, or post questions of your own:

1. Why are there no fountain drinks in Italy? I have heard from clients in the restaurant business that fountain beverages are a big profit center, thus they are able to offer unlimited free refills and still make a lot of money. Why only bottled or canned soft drinks in Italy?

2. Why is there no facial tissue (e.g. Kleenex) at hotels? With what are folks expected to blow their noses?

3. Why is salad so expensive? We'd eat at a pizzaria, and the pizza would be 7 euro and a very small house salad, with maybe a couple slices of tomato, would be 6.50. Why?

4. Where do the nuns buying souvineers at the Vatican gift shops get their spending money?

5. How do Europeans wash their faces at the end of the day without a wash cloth?

6. Do Japanese women all wear little floppy hats at home, or do their tour guides strongly suggest them for travel abroad? About 95% of the female Japanese tourists I saw were wearing little floppy hats.

7. Why are the folks speaking Italian in Rome all Caucasian? The workforce in Florence and Venice seemed pretty diverse, but the workforce in Rome seemed all white (except for the guys selling knockoff purses.)

8. Do Italians take their kids out to eat and if so, what do THEY order to drink? Do they, also, pay 3 euro for a Coke?

Answers, please!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Ended up on the US board by mistake. Sorry! Please disregard!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:36 AM
GoTravel

What I can answer:

5. You don't need a wash cloth to wash. I never use one.

4. Nuns get a small salary from the Catholic Church. It is also common practice if you have a relative (in my family at least) in service to the church to send them money on birthdays and holidays. My great Aunt, Sister Anastasia would get money from all of our family in addition to the tiny amount she got from the church.

Post this on the Europe board for better answers.

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM

# 6 : Because Fodors Japan travel forum posters say it's a must to wear floppy hats while travelling ?

# 2 - With...toilet paper or tissues carried in your purse.Or, with your sleeve.

# 4 - From the priests of course!! Who else?

# 5 - You wash your face with a wash cloth?

# 8 - No...they eat healthy meals at home and don't drink soda. Ever notice how slim those Italians are?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Why didn't you ask while you were in Italy?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM

JaGirl, in addition to your #2: or with a bottom of your skirt if you're a lady
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Right, ronkala..."Excuse me, Sister, but where are you getting the money to buy these rosary beads?" Don't think so...
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM

#6: Japanese women are serious about sun protection for their skin. When hiking, they usually wear, in addition to the floppy hat, long pants, long-sleeve shirts (white) and white cotton gloves. And in Switzerland they were great at greeting us on the trails with a Grützi! in response to our Konnichi-Wa!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:40 PM

1- Did you not see the Trevi Fountain?
lol
2- A Fine cotton handkerchief ? or silk from Pucci?
3-Why is salad so expensive? some things in life are too deep to figure out.
4-Hmmm, I never thought about that! Interesting.
5-Tissues ( that the hotel does not provide)
6. Do Japanese women all wear little floppy hats at home?"
Yes, I believe a lot of them do, and other styles too. More American women should protect their heads/faces too -
7-Immigration laws ?
8-I agree with JAGIRL..more children here should not know what a Coke tastes like..