Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

There always particular people who are experts on certain area- GAC, Grinisa, Maribel, etc.- how did you become so knowledgable of these areas?

Search

There always particular people who are experts on certain area- GAC, Grinisa, Maribel, etc.- how did you become so knowledgable of these areas?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There always seems to be certain people who just know so much about particular regions. How did you become so knowledgable? Have you lived there? Traveled there frequently? Just curious!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Now this is an interesting question. First of all, let me say, I am far from being an expert (but you all knew that anyway).

I think a lot of people on the board are like me. They have traveled to many places and have opinions on cities, hotels they stayed at, restaurants, et al. I only answer questions on places I've been or general travel questions where I have an opinion. I respect people's opinions, but they are only part of my decision process.

Like RufusTFirefly. He liked a place in Beilstein. I went to the hotel's website, and I decided to stay there. I don't know RufusTFirefly, but he got me interested in the Haus Lippman, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Geez, I recommended The Hermitage in Florence because I liked it, and now there is somebody going partly because of my recommendation (by the way Marymac, if you don't like it, my name is Rufus)

There are some people on this board like Maribel, bobthenavigator and others who seem to be genuine experts. I would also like to know their story.

Then there are a few that I have seen, I suspect, who are "wannabee" experts. I think they look at guidebooks to furnish some of their answers. It's ok to look things up like spelling or addresses to answer a question, but it seems a little disingenuous to give a guidebook reply like you've been there.

One thing is for certain, 90 perecnt of the people on this board are obsessive-compulsive travel people (such as myself) who love to travel, love to tell others about their travels (hopefully with a laugh now and then) and love to hear about other people's travels. It's pretty cool, don't you think?

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:09 PM

I don't consider myself an expert on Italy, just a lover of Italy. But I have been to Italy almost every year (once or twice a year) since 1969. I have visited every region except Aosta and Trentino and always make a stop in Rome, my favorite city in the world. That's alot of visits to Rome. If I'm not in Italy or planning my next trip to Italy, I'm reading about Italy. My library has close to 500 books on Italy, from travel guides, travel essays, photographic journals, cookbooks, maps and atlas and fiction. I visit not only this board but the aol Italy board, Slowtraveler's Italy board, and the egullet Italy board. And yes, one day, my husband and I hope to own a home in Italy.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:12 PM

"But I have been to Italy almost every year (once or twice a year) since 1969."

To me, that consitutes an expert (albeit a humble one).
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Well thanks maitaitom, after writing about my book collection, and reading your first post, I thought you would lump me in the wannabe catagory.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:19 PM

"I thought you would lump me in the wannabe catagory."

Not at all. Actually, I see more of the "wannabee" types in older posts (I guess that was before there was registration). Most people who respond to questions now are pretty helpful and knowledgable. I have only been on this board for a few months, and it is addicting. I only hope I can travel for another 30 or 40 years and be considered an "expert" some day.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:30 PM

maitaitom,
I 'wannabee' an expert I keep going back to Paris and London over and over, soon maybe I too will beeee one~

Also, when one is not traveling, one can read everything available about certain places, making them sort of an armchair traveler and perhaps sort of expert?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:49 PM

Almost everyone has a hobby--some might say a passion or even a compulsion. For some it is travel in Europe. After 22 trips to southern Europe, half of those to Italy, and a few thousand hours of homework you do tend to gain a degree of expertise. It is merely a voluntary choice to spend the time and to pay attention. It could be stamp collecting or cooking--it is just a fun hobby.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Other experts- reveal yourselves!!!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:18 AM

I'm not an expert, just an ex-pat (and a British one at that)...
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:30 AM
GAC

I also travel to Italy regularly, and take a very personal interest in travel details and, wherever possible, helping fellow travelers with the benefit of my experiences.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:45 AM

AP6380,

Expert is difficult to define for me. I think after you have done things most of your life it becomes second nature. I have been traveling on trains all my life. I don't clain to know everything, but I have a special understanding of that type of transportation that most people do not. I consider Ben a train expert! That's my opinion. Good question.

Greg
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Only 4 trips (to Europe) to date, but am incredibly fortunate to have a dear friend who moved to Switzerland from the U.S. 15 years ago. So each trip is based out of her home for two weeks, then one week on my own to somewhere new (Amsterdam, Paris, Venice twice).

So I feel very comfortable sharing information I learned by living with her and doing what she does daily in the Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux areas.

Or about solo female travel, packing light, getting lost, itineraries, etc.