Back from Charleston,SC --loved it!

Apr 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Back from Charleston,SC --loved it!

Although brief, our trip to Charleston went very well, thanks largely to the comments on this site. We arrived early on a fri., and headed straight to the Visitor's Center, where we arrived just in time to see the film there. It was a good way to acclimate ourselves to the area. For the record, there is no on/off trolley ride. Sadly they don't have enough money to continue it, though they used to have one. We purchased tickets at the center for a carriage ride and headed to Market St.

After parking and walking a bit, we took our carriage ride, which we enjoyed. It is unfortunate that you can't pick the area to choose. Apparently there are five different routes, and the driver doesn't know till she starts, which one they'll be directed to. Ours was route #1, which ran along the water, past the colorful row homes, the Old Exchange, and some historic homes. We were not alone in wishing we could pick another area, but wouldn't chance taking another ride and ending up on the same route! Afterwards we explored a bit, before stopping for lunch.

Our lunch was at Poogan's Porch. I would have preferred either breakfast or dinner there, but this is how it worked out. Although my daughter and I had been leaning toward some salad choices, we were encouraged to have the shrimp and grits. We were both very disappointed in the dish. On the plus side, my husband's pasta dish was delicious, and the biscuits were the best we've ever had. The room was beautiful, and each room there was appealing.

After lunch, we browsed through shops, and explored for a bit, and then headed to our hotel to check in. Although on the other side of the river, it was very easy and quick to get to. We relaxed a bit, and then headed back to historic Charleston. Upon returning, parking was a breeze, and for $5, we parked at the corner of the market place. We walked for a bit, before deciding to have dinner at SNOB [Slightly North Of Broad] Since we didn't have a reservation, we had a wait, but that was no problem, since we used the time to walk through more of the area. Dinner at SNOB was wonderful. Since it was my daughter's birthday, we especially wanted something good, but this surpassed our hopes. We were so pleased with the choice. We also lucked out by getting a great table, despite the fact we had no reservation. Apparently they only use a limited number of tables, set around the front door, with one or two by the kitchen,if there are no reservations, but we were in a great spot. Don't know if the birthday had anything to do with it, or just timing, but it was very relaxing, with great service. It started raining while in dinner, but fortunately it slowed when we left. Since the weather was miserable that evening, we headed back to our hotel after dinner, but, by this time, it was about 10:00, and late enough for me.

After a complimentary breakfast at our hotel, we checked out, and headed back. I was surprised to see how easy it was to park pretty much everywhere, right on the street. We first got there around 10:30, and did the tour of The Old Exchange. We enjoyed the tour, and the stories and history surrounding it. From there, we headed next door, to the oldest operating licquor store, and bought a few assorted bottles. Figured I'd pick up some sherry for the she crab soup! Once we dropped off our purchase at the car, we headed further down the road, stopped for pictures and to take in the beautiful surroundings. We cut through some small 'streets' that were no more than alleys, and visited one of the historic homes. All in all, we were happy with our time there, and intend to return.

Before leaving, we decided we'd do lunch, and hoped we would be able to park near Jestine's. Parking was no problem, and we only had a 15 min. wait for a table. We were very happy with this restaurant for lunch. And, though we didn't really have room for desert, we were encouranged to try something, and I must say, the coconut cream pie was delicious!

Thanks to all who offered opinions and advice. It made our brief stay go more smoothly.
Apr 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Hi LoisL, I am so happy that you enjoyed Charleston. I was just there the first of this month for the first time and loved every moment. BTW, had dinner at the two restaurants you went to and enjoyed them so much.

Charleston is a beautiful city. Thanks for sharing your time there.
May 2nd, 2005, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, It was my first visit to Charleston, but I look forward to returning. Next time, I'll plan for at least two nights there. On the negative side, a friend just returned, having spent a couple nights there with friends, and had her wallet stolen while there. With such a laid back, friendly atmosphere there, I guess it's easy to let your guard down.
May 2nd, 2005, 10:40 AM

May I ask what hotel/inn you stayed at? I always like to hear the latest lodging reports.
May 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM

glad you had a great time...what's not to love about charleston...love that place.
May 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

We stayed in the Spring Hll Suites, which is just over the bridge, out of the historic area. Since the hotel also comes with breakfast, it saves a bit on meals, and there is transportation from there to the historic area, but we had no problem getting back and forth, nor with parking. It was easier to park on Sat. than it was on Fri. I did see a B&B in the historic area that was beautiful, and would consider it for a special stay. However, unless you are right in the middle of things, it is really no more inconvenient to stay just outside the historic area, in my opinion.

We really enjoyed walking around the old city, and the carrriage tour and museum tours gave us more background and understanding, making the walks around town even more interesting.
May 13th, 2005, 04:39 PM

So glad your first trip was enjoyable. Charleston is the best city in the states, IMO.
May 18th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

One additional observation about the city, after returning from visiting a daughter currently living in London..... We found some appealing similarities in the two cities, as we strolled through some upscale areas of London.