Reload this Page >

Back from Boston - a hint for sightseeing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 03:26 PM
Pris

Just back from a great visit to Boston, with a couple of hints for future visitors:

1. For the top-of-the... view, try the Prudential instead of the Hancock. Hancock is taller but only gives you about a 120 degree view, just North and Northeast.

2. Duck tours are expensive -- $24, I think -- but probably worth it once just for the knowledgable patter and the splash into the Charles. But the route goes through some unattractive scenery after it leaves Beacon Hill and only points to Old North Church and Bunker Hill Monument in the distance. The best river view is further up river than this tour goes (view of Harvard from Boston/Allston side). There are longer tours in the summer, as well as great harbor tours.

3. Visitor passes for the "T" subway/bus system are worth it only if you are going to do more than 2.5 round trips to somewhere in any one day. May be reasonable to buy a handful ($5 for 5, $10 for 10) of tokens and keep them in a handy pocket.

4. Museum of Fine Arts now has 3 restaurants, all great places for a tranquil, civilized lunch -- and don't require admission to the museum. But make sure you take the E train on the Green Line -- other Green lines don't go there.

5. Forget Cheers. Just pass by it on your way to wander around Beacon Hill. Others have advised this before, so I'm just repeating it.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 03:41 PM
Mike

We are forunate enough to have a daughter going to school in Boston. What a town ! I am the history buff but the wife and daughter are shoppers. I can tell you every shopping center within 50 miles of downtown.

Whale watching cruises are well worth the money.
The JFK library is also fascinating, and taking the red line over to Harvard and Cambridge is also well worth the time. Boston is one of those places you HAVE to go back to again and again.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 08:54 AM
lucy

I'm going tomorrow, so please do tell more of TO DOs while I'm there.

THANKS

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Boss Tonn

lucia:

The Freedom Trail is a great way to walk around the city. It is marked by a red line on the sidewalk, and it passes by many points of interest. There are also maps of this route.

Give us a hint what you're interested in (shopping? restaurants? music? theater?) and we'll all do our best to give some additional advice.

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 03:08 PM
Pris

To the top for all those in the midst of planning -- and to gather more tips from others.